Open VI Reference In Tools Menu VI Failing

I have a tool I'm creating and it searches the active project for all VIs recursively. I have found if I try to use Open VI Reference to an unsaved VI it fails (I am wiring up just the VI name as a string). It gives me error 1004, VI not in memory.

However, if I go to that specific project and create a new VI and do open VI Reference with "Untitled x" wired as a string, it opens the reference fine. Does the tools menu somehow run in a different context where it can't open a reference to an unsaved VI? Is there a way to make this work?

I should add, there are no problems when it's saved to disk and wired up as a path (somewhat obviously).

Edited by for(imstuck)

Here is an example. Unzip this to <LabVIEW>/projects. Create a new project and a new VI. You will need to add a comment on that new, unsaved, VIs block diagram that says "test" (omit the quotes). Then run my tool. It should find the VI but when it tries to open a reference to it, it returns an error.

Test Issues Folder.zip

Edited by for(imstuck)

Instead of using the "menu launch information.vi" (which I'm totally unfamiliar with/do not have) try using an application (read) property node -> App.MenuLaunchApp to get the calling application reference. I also use App.MenuLaunchVI to get the name of the VI in memory, but you can only open that vi in memory when wiring the application reference from teh app.menulaunchapp.

I think that the property node I use is not available by browsing.

ok here it is

GetActivationVI.vi

Edited by Jon Kokott