Create your own Generic VI (like Randomize 1D Array)

3PA5n.pngGood news, everyone!

Despite what AQ said about implementing a "revocation" for Generic VI's, they apparently still work in LabVIEW 2012, just as they did before. I doubt all the problems with them have been fixed though, so use the same caution you always have. (Too bad they had to break something else...)

Edited by flarn2006
Also, I think I figured out how Aristos made the controls generic.

[...]

All that's needed in order to select Genericity is to add SuperSecretPrivateSpecialStuff=true to your LabVIEW.ini file.

Just be aware that doing something like that is truly playing with fire.  flarn2006, I'd appreciate it you add a warning to your post to that effect, just like you did for the first one in this thread.

Just be aware that doing something like that is truly playing with fire.  flarn2006, I'd appreciate it you add a warning to your post to that effect, just like you did for the first one in this thread.

Uhh...didn't I? In the image? No offense.

Edited by flarn2006
  • 1 year later...

Okay, bumping an old thread here. For anyone who's still interested, I've discovered with almost complete certainty what Darren meant by "a certain way we can configure the UI to make controls generic." Simply add the following line to LabVIEW.ini:

GenericsAreGo=True
Now every control will have a "Generic" context menu item that does what you'd expect. I'll post this on the LabVIEW wiki as well. Edited by flarn2006
GenericsAreGo=True

Which is quite ironic since generics are most certainly not "Go" and NI has said multiple times that the development of Generics are a dead end for them.  I can't remember who I heard this from but I thought I remember even hearing that NI plans on removing Generics from some future version of LabVIEW because they don't think it is a stable technology.

• Like 1