An unfortunate development

That's certainly a shame. As I'm sure you know, I think it would be great if the LabVIEW community had access to all the same tools as NI, but I doubt that's going to happen. Sorry if I did anything you or NI didn't like (like the Generic VI thing I posted last night, which I imagine inspired this post) but I really wanted to share my findings with the community. Don't take it personally, not that I think you do; I would have done the same no matter who released it. I wish NI would share more things with the community, even if they aren't fully tested. After all, that's what alpha releases are for.

Edited by flarn2006

That's certainly a shame. As I'm sure you know, I think it would be great if the LabVIEW community had access to all the same tools as NI, but I doubt that's going to happen. Sorry if I did anything you or NI didn't like (like the Generic VI thing I posted last night, which I imagine inspired this post) but I really wanted to share my findings with the community. Don't take it personally, not that I think you do; I would have done the same no matter who released it. I wish NI would share more things with the community, even if they aren't fully tested. After all, that's what alpha releases are for.

Well even in Open Source projects it's often so that the developers have created helper tools that they may not distribute openly. And no, as long as you are the developer of the code and don't distribute the result there is no Open Source license which obligates you to distribute the source, not even GPL. In the case of commercial applications it's a total fantasy to expect or even hope to get all the internal tools of the software manufacturer too. That would mean among other things also license generators and what else, and you know where that would lead.

Why I won't be pushing the G envelope in code I share with the community in the future:

https://decibel.ni.c...nt/thread/13544

FWIW I agree with this stance. It's actually very simple. LV is NOT open source. Never has been and very, very likely never will be. Nor, IMHO, should it be. If someone believes otherwise than build a lookalike and open it up to everyone. I'll expect that to happen about the same time that about the same instant that we discover how to travel time and, to verify that, I'll be there to congratulate you on both achievements.