CLD Exam Traffic Controller. My Attempt

Hi Austin,

I've had a quick look and have a few bits of feedback, this is not necessarily exhuastive but the main bits I notice at a quick glance:

• Functionality: Your east and westbound red lights don't appear to light properly, this would need fixing for the functionality section.
  • Style: The style is OK but there are a few areas with room for improvement where wires are going backwards a little. Run VI Analyzer on it to pick these out. There are no major issues though.
  • Style: For your display FGV you don't have the command enum type defined and I find it a bit odd having two command inputs to this, though I see where you were going with it. I would also expect command to be a required input or display what the default is on the terminal name.
  • Documentation: You have all the VI documentation filled out which is good but it would probably be good to add a little more on the block diagram. There is none at all in the top level VI.

Those are the things that leap out at me that you may want to look at but I would say it is quite a good start. I don't know exactly how they come up with the exact scores but I would think with those changes it should be in with a shot! Bear in mind that the style is worth as much as the functionality and documentation isn't far behind, (15,15,10 split).

Hi James, I appreciate a great deal your time and valuable feedback.

One thing I tried but could not get my head around:

If I have an enum control with the items initialize, read, shutdown and I want to make the read default so when the constant of that enum is wired as an input to a vi, I could get away without wiring the constants and the vi will run the default case as default. Any thoughts on this?

I will definitely take your advice and run the vi analyzer and find out the backward wires and start putting some more code in the block diagrams. Time is the biggest issue, I hope with continuous practice I will get better and better.

Thanks

Austin

If I follow your question correctly, in your subVI if you select the value in the enum that you want as default and then right-click>>Data Operations>>Make Current Value Default this means when you call this as a subVI without wiring anything that is the value that it will use.

• Like 1

Not a direct comment about your project, but I've heard that the Traffic, Security, and Sprinkler sample exams aren't reflective of the current CLD exam. They're meant to be finished in 2 hours instead of 4.

If I'm wrong, someone please step in and correct me.

Not a direct comment about your project, but I've heard that the Traffic, Security, and Sprinkler sample exams aren't reflective of the current CLD exam. They're meant to be finished in 2 hours instead of 4.

If I'm wrong, someone please step in and correct me.

I took the CLD two years ago, but it was a 4 hour exam and we had these same examples and if I remember correctly the time limit for them was also 4 hours. I do believe the CLA used to be a 2 hour coding 2 hour written exam so you may be getting confused about that. But the CLA example posted now is definitely a 4 hour example! I will say, the CLD sample exams were all slightly shorter than the actual one I took.