Based on the squeaky wheel programming paradigm, I finally broke down and created a very very basic version of LVSpeak which simply enables speech detection in LabVIEW.
Refresher

This version of LVS is fully decoupled from the QuickEdit engine which enables you to speak common commands to LV and operate on GObjects (front panel and block diagram items)

This should be packaged into a VIPM package but is not yet.

It has imported its dependencies (ESF and REx) so that no other downloads are needed for the moment.
Dependencies would be handled in the future through VIPM

I'm posting for a specific person, but want to share w/ everyone.
There are many more things that I have in the full version of the LVS Engine, but for simplicity sake, I wanted to boil this down to the least common elements.

Enjoy,
Norm

~,~ The Captain was here

LVS_Basic.zip

• Like 1

I'm not able to get this to work (LV2011, SP1, WinXP with Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 installed). I don't get any errors, it just doesn't detect when I say something from the list. In addition, when I press the Stop button, Release Session.vi never finishes. If I enabled debugging it will finish, and LabVIEW crashes if I abort it. I wonder if this behavior offers any clues into my bigger problem of not recognizing speech.

I haven't tried it on an XP system.

However if I'm not mistaken the API should still fly.

I'm presuming you are holding down one of the hot key combinations while trying to say the commands?

How long did you let release session run for? Sometimes the shutdown of the speech engine takes a long long time.

However the release session shouldn't be doing anything other than closing references....

Do you have a win7 system you could try it on as well?

• 1 month later...

I have looked at the code and can not determine why it's not working for you.

The only thing that could be suspect is that I am invoking a recursive chain of VI in the closing, but all VI involved in the process are shared clones, so there should be no deadlocking.

I don't doubt that you're seeing this, but I have as of yet to see it live on a system so it's making it hard for me to find the issue.

Have you tried turning on debugging as well to see what you get?

Also....technically speaking....although it's a hack.... you could just skip that call on the close. All it does is clean up event references and LV is about to terminate anyway so you can let its autocleanup deal with it for now.

~Norm

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Bump? I'm using LV2013 and I'd like to give this a go, but how? I installed the base 2.0.5 package from https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-apis/blog/2009/11/19/labview-speak--programming-lv-through-voice-commands

but I can't install the plugin pack (apparently, my version of LabVIEW isn't compatible).

Edited by RnDMonkey
Bump? I'm using LV2013 and I'd like to give this a go, but how? I installed the base 2.0.5 package from

but I can't install the plugin pack (apparently, my version of LabVIEW isn't compatible).

Don't worry about that old link, did this work for you?

Also, I've got the new version packaged up and ready to go, but need some beta fish to try out. ping me Norm.Kirchner@ni.com if you like