CLD- File IO requirement

Hello there.

In the example problems available on the web, it looks like usually we are expected to load and save data into a file.

When we are asked to save data in .csv file, is it acceptable to create a .txt file containing files seperated by comma? I think thats essentially what a .csv file is. However, if I just create a .txt file and change the extension to .csv, it becomes an excel file. I wonder if the extension has to be .csv or is it acceptable to have .txt file with the values seperated by comma

Also in terms of the knowledge of the different technologies, what are we expected to know? I can see most of the time, the application we are asked to develop is some sort of a sequencer and we are required to use labview style/architectures to design application.

But if before even starting the actual sequencer, I am being asked to populate the data by using some configuraiton file onto an active x controller. I will straight away fail my test if I dont know these technologies.

The comments will be most appreciated. I want to do my best and finish with the confidence.

Kind Regards

Austin

However, if I just create a .txt file and change the extension to .csv, it becomes an excel file.

Its not really an Excel file it's just opened by Excel by default

You can popup on the file and select Open With.. to change that

As for the specific details of that requirement, I would recommend that you check with NI before you do it in the exam just in case...

Active X is a (legacy) Microsoft windows only technology. You will not be asked to do anything that is 3rd party dependent (i.e Active X .NET, windows API) although that does not prohibit using those technologies to achieve the requirements. The purpose of the examinations is to ascertain your LabVIEW skills, not your knowledge of the platform.

CSV only means "Comma Delimited Values" and as JGCode pointed out, it is only linked to Excel because of windows associations (it is not a proprietary formatted "Excel" file that can only be opened with a Microsoft product). In fact. I highly recommend you stay well clear of active X not only in the exam, but also in your professional role.

In fact. I highly recommend you stay well clear of active X not only in the exam, but also in your professional role.

I'm not a fanboy for ActiveX (or .NET or COM or anything else customers require), but I'm curious as to the statement to stay clear of ActiveX in professional role?

I'm not a fanboy for ActiveX (or .NET or COM or anything else customers require), but I'm curious as to the statement to stay clear of ActiveX in professional role?

Well. Ignoring x-platform considerations and that fact that Active X is built on windows 3.1 technology (A.K.A legacy). It's very easy to write Active X components very poorly and since you don't have the source. you can't do anything about the memory/reference leaks, GPFs and hangs that abound with Active X controls, They always look like a very easy solution, but I forget the number of times they have turned out to be anything other than a pain in the arse, sometimes risking the project. Additionally. If an active X control does go down, it invariably causes strange behavior all around the OS meaning that you end up on lots of wild goose chases trying to figure out whats wrong. IMHO you are far better off not considering them to begin with and you will still have a full head of hair well into your 70s.

They have bitten so hard in the past, that teams that I manage now are banned from using Active X and if a supplier only has an active X driver to interface to their equipment, they are disregarded regardless of the quality/performance of the hardware.

Edited by ShaunR
  • 2 weeks later...

To give an example of what Shaun is talking about, I used to use ActiveX to get files in and out of Excel. Everytime MS Office changed or Windows OS changed, I would have to rewrite the ActiveX calls. Either something wasn't working anymore, or even worse, was working *differently*. I finally just told my users they would have to write config files in CSV format, and we've all been much happier ever since.

• Like 2