New Idea Exchange Idea - Add ability to auto-upload VI Snippet to online image host.

For those who haven't heard of it, asbo's referring to the Code Capture Tool: http://lavag.org/fil...e-capture-tool/ which was coincidentally featured in an NIWeek session I was in a few hours ago :)

I must have missed that session. I'm not trying to put down the CCT, but I do think this is a good addition to VI Snippet. Either CCT should replace it or VI Snippet needs more work. Since this is something that is (partially) integrated into the CCT I'm obviously not the first to see the benefit.

I must have missed that session. I'm not trying to put down the CCT, but I do think this is a good addition to VI Snippet. Either CCT should replace it or VI Snippet needs more work. Since this is something that is (partially) integrated into the CCT I'm obviously not the first to see the benefit.

Relaying on online services is a tricky thing to do in a product. Those services do go away, change their API contract, and what else. Besides there are many people who are behind a firewall and don't have all kinds of access to certain things, that non-corporate users are taking as totally granted nowadays. It may seem a very nice addition to the snippet function, yet the inherent implications are so far reaching, that I do not see NI adding this anytime soon.

I think they could make it a little easier along the lines of what the CCT does already but going further is a sure way of creating a maintenance nightmare. And if anything is worse for a product idea than huge costs, it's the prospect of adding maintenance effort in the future rather than eliminating it.

Featured how?

Dave talked about it for a few minutes and showed screenshots in this presentation:

Wed, Aug 8, 2012 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM

Hands-On: Explore Tools to Customize LabVIEW

Room 18D - ACC 4th Floor

Speaker:

David Ladolcetta, National Instruments

Presentation Options

View

Email

Track: Software Development Techniques

Customize LabVIEW by adding functions to the LabVIEW Project Explorer. Also learn to access additional resources and tools to improve the LabVIEW development environment.

Either CCT should replace it or VI Snippet needs more work. Since this is something that is (partially) integrated into the CCT I'm obviously not the first to see the benefit.

Sure, but as an integrated tool, VISnippet will probably be a little more hesitant to change, and wi'll definately take longer. I agree that updating VISnippet with all the CCT features would be perfect, but that's probably not oging to happen. That said, getting the CCT changed will probably result in less resistance, *and* the CCT developer doesn't have to wait until the next (or later) release cycle.

I don't mind either way - it's not a feature I'd probably use - I'm just expanding on the process as I see it.

Adding a plugin system allowing someone to add a feature like this is something Yair and I have discussed.

Features could include, Facebook, twitter/twitpic or uploading to an FTP site.

It's a good thing to discuss, however implementing such a plugin system might be more work than what we think.

If you want to build one, you can look at the VI in:

vi.lib\LAVA\_Code Capture Tool\CCT Class\Software\Methods\CopyToClipboard\CCT_Copy Data to Clipboard__CCT.vi

This is my attempt to upload images to Imgur, however the API of imgur was changed somehow, so I could not reliable perform that action.

To enable the URL option (that uses Imgur), change the VI in

vi.lib\LAVA\_Code Capture Tool\CCT Class\Software\Utilities\ListBoxItems__CCT.vi.

Add the string 'URL' to the array inside 'Clipboard.Items':

post-2399-0-63576300-1344542598.png

Ton

• Like 1