Need to talk to cDAQ-9174 via Ethernet

Cat

I so very rarely post in hardware. This is exciting. :)

I have a cDAQ-9174 (filled with NI-9234 modules) that I need to talk with via ethernet. I have tried both a router with a USB port, and a single USB device to ethernet converter. Neither works. With both, I can see the 9174 in MAX, but it has a red X thru it, and the 9234s don't appear. Self-test, etc, fails.

I've sent a request off to NI tech support for some help, but was hoping one of you all out there had already solved this problem.

(I know NI is advertising a cDAQ-9184, which is the 4 slot ethernet chassis. But despite it being on their website, my local sales rep tells me it probably won't be ready until December. Grr... And I need this system for a test in October.)

I have never tried out the adapters so I can't comment on them but the red X actually means disconnected I.e. I have seen this device before but can't now so I suspect nothing has worked through the adapters.

I thought the adapters are normally only designed to work with specific classes of devices e.g. Mass storage, at the very least you would need some sort of local software to have it emulate a standard USB hub.

I have never tried out the adapters so I can't comment on them but the red X actually means disconnected I.e. I have seen this device before but can't now so I suspect nothing has worked through the adapters.

I thought this was the case, but want someone else to chime in to be sure.

Have you verified the Ethernet path is good (right kind of cable, etc) with something else?

With the 9174 connected to a usb port on my computer, I would see it and all the 9234s in MAX. I would then disconnect it from my computer. The 9174 entry in MAX would get a red x thru it. I deleted the 9174 entry. Then I plugged the usb cable from the 9174 into the usb-ethernet converter. MAX, without any prompting from me, would start its refresh cycle, and end up with the 9174 enty there again, but red X-ed. So the converter is doing *something* just not enough.

I thought the adapters are normally only designed to work with specific classes of devices e.g. Mass storage, at the very least you would need some sort of local software to have it emulate a standard USB hub.

Yes, I installed utilities on my computer to do something. Once again, I just don't think it's enough. The converter I have is for storage devices, printers, cameras, etc. Unfortunately "etc" doesn't seem to cover this NI device.

Have you verified the Ethernet path is good (right kind of cable, etc) with something else?

Yup, I had been using that very cable in my computer just a few minutes before.

I so very rarely post in hardware. This is exciting. :)

I have a cDAQ-9174 (filled with NI-9234 modules) that I need to talk with via ethernet. I have tried both a router with a USB port, and a single USB device to ethernet converter. Neither works. With both, I can see the 9174 in MAX, but it has a red X thru it, and the 9234s don't appear. Self-test, etc, fails.

I've sent a request off to NI tech support for some help, but was hoping one of you all out there had already solved this problem.

(I know NI is advertising a cDAQ-9184, which is the 4 slot ethernet chassis. But despite it being on their website, my local sales rep tells me it probably won't be ready until December. Grr... And I need this system for a test in October.)

Have you considered to use the cDAQ-9188 instead? True it's about double the price of the cDAQ-9174 but it is shipping. and I would expect the cDAQ-9184 to be about halfway in between these. The cRIO-9075 would be a little cheaper but you don't use DAQmx to access it, but instead place a realtime control programm on its integrated controller and transfer the data from there.

Have you considered to use the cDAQ-9188 instead? True it's about double the price of the cDAQ-9174 but it is shipping.

I need this chassis to go into a box that can fit easily in a backpack. This box will also have a router and a 16 channel signal conditioning board with multiple gain stages and filtering. And power supply and cabling, etc. The 9188 has too big of a footprint for this. That's what I told the NI guy at NI-Week 2 years ago when the 9188 came out. That's great, but can you make it a little smaller?!? :)

The cRIO-9075 would be a little cheaper but you don't use DAQmx to access it, but instead place a realtime control programm on its integrated controller and transfer the data from there.

Hmm. I've never used cRIO hardware before. The only thing I can think of offhand that might be an issue is that eventually there will be 8 or 10 of these spread around the USA. Doing software upgrades would be a bit of a logistics problem if I actually have to lay hands on all the boxes.

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind if all else fails. I really don't want to have to run both an Ethernet and an USB cable to this box.

Thanks!

What version of DAQmx is installed?

I'm not sure where I find this. Does 2.7.0f2 sound right? It's whatever came with LV2011 SP1.

An update: I've got an old AnywhereUSB hub that I tried using today. It works fine. The problem is, while it is USB2 compatible, it runs USB2 devices at USB 1.1 speeds. That's about 1.5MB/s (on a good day) and I need at least 6.25MB/s. So while it's not fast enough, it gives me hope there might be something out there that can do this. I'm just leery to buy Yet Another Converter, when I've gotten two so far and neither one works.

More update: My local NI rep tells me that now the expected ship date for the cDAQ-9184 is this week! I'm not sure how that will work when there's still not a way to buy it, or even pricing, on the NI website. But I'm going to keep my fingers crossed NI isn't just blowing smoke up my skirt. :P

More update: My local NI rep tells me that now the expected ship date for the cDAQ-9184 is this week! I'm not sure how that will work when there's still not a way to buy it, or even pricing, on the NI website. But I'm going to keep my fingers crossed NI isn't just blowing smoke up my skirt. :P

NI often seems to be a bit conservative in their estimated shipping dates. I remember my last cDAQ project where I needed 4 cDAQ-9181 and some modules. The cDAQ-9181 were quoted with 10 days delivery time on the website, when I ordered I got a call that they had production problems with getting some necessary parts for a production run and they estimated a shipping time of about 2 months later. You can understand my surprise when I got the product about 2 weeks later and it fully worked!

Hmm. I've never used cRIO hardware before. The only thing I can think of offhand that might be an issue is that eventually there will be 8 or 10 of these spread around the USA. Doing software upgrades would be a bit of a logistics problem if I actually have to lay hands on all the boxes.

It's all doable if you have access to the host itself. There is a Real-Time Deployment Library that allows to build in code into the host application, that can update, reset and restart a realtime controller from the host application at runtime. No need to have access to the cRIO over internet or to a LabVIEW development system on the host for upgrading the realtime part.

NI often seems to be a bit conservative in their estimated shipping dates.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that true here.

There is a Real-Time Deployment Library that allows to build in code into the host application, that can update, reset and restart a realtime controller from the host application at runtime. No need to have access to the cRIO over internet or to a LabVIEW development system on the host for upgrading the realtime part.

Really? Yes, the host application will get uploaded to a web site (or passed around on CD) whenever there's a new version. Hopefully I won't need it for this project, but cRIO is something to keep in mind for the future. Thanks!