NI Week 2012 Videos

Mark Balla

Thanks for sharing these and also thank you for permission to repost your videos to YouTube! The LabVIEW Coding Challenge is now posted in two parts: 
 and 

I'm going to argue for the sake of arguing if you don't mind.

"To stop the VI you cannot press the abort button, or by clicking an object on the front panel"

Are we now saying that the exit button is not an object, on the front panel?  The title of the window is something like "Untitled 9 Front Panel" so to me that states that the entire window is called the Front Panel, and the Resize, Minimize, Maximum, and Exit buttons would be part of it.

That being said it doesn't bother me that Darren won.

I'm going to argue for the sake of arguing if you don't mind.

"To stop the VI you cannot press the abort button, or by clicking an object on the front panel"

Are we now saying that the exit button is not an object, on the front panel?  The title of the window is something like "Untitled 9 Front Panel" so to me that states that the entire window is called the Front Panel, and the Resize, Minimize, Maximum, and Exit buttons would be part of it.

It's not. Those objects are part of the front panel window, but any definition of the FP in LV (such as in the various properties for the FP bounds) refers only to the actual edit area, not to the title, menus and toolbar. If you want, you could make an argument about the scrollbars and pane splitters, but I think that's just a matter of semantics.

In general, I think that there needs to be some leeway about the interpretation of the rules (although obviously it should be limited) and that certainly seems to be the case. Like Rob said, the 100 random number challenge has already been given in a slightly different form, and even though this year it would be a little farther from the rules than it was last time, I would still have suggested the same solution I did back then - a for loop running 100 times with rnd+3 and auto indexing - it would generate 100 numbers between 1-5, but not between 2-2.99.

Edited by Yair
Like Rob said, the 100 random number challenge has already been given in a slightly different form, and even though this year it would be a little farther from the rules than it was last time, I would still have suggested the same solution I did back then - a for loop running 100 times with rnd+3 and auto indexing - it would generate 100 numbers between 1-5, but not between 2-2.99.

I wasn't at the challenge but I could tell there was some kind of discussion there about the implementation.  It met the specified requirements did it now?  I realize it may not be the intent but that is because of poor requirements.

Now that I think about it I can agree with your front panel specifics, because you mentioned what is considered an object on the front panel from the perspective of LabVIEW. 

I wasn't at the challenge but I could tell there was some kind of discussion there about the implementation.  It met the specified requirements did it now?  I realize it may not be the intent but that is because of poor requirements.

Now that I think about it I can agree with your front panel specifics, because you mentioned what is considered an object on the front panel from the perspective of LabVIEW. 

I agree - poor task indeed. It was supposed to be a "coding" challenge, not a "semantic interpretation" challenge. Christines was fantastic though and, to my mind, no-one got the solution.

Christines was fantastic though and, to my mind, no-one got the solution.

If you're talking about the knob eyeballs, someone did ask about it later on the NI forums and proper answers were posted, although, like I said, I think that under the constraints of a speed coding challenge, the actual submissions were close enough to the rules to be acceptable. Here are a couple of the ones which are worth opening. Mine got Darren to endorse it as "creepy". You can't do much better:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Knob-Eyeballs/m-p/2523334#M766596

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Knob-Eyeballs/m-p/2522728#M766458

If you're talking about the knob eyeballs, someone did ask about it later on the NI forums and proper answers were posted, although, like I said, I think that under the constraints of a speed coding challenge, the actual submissions were close enough to the rules to be acceptable. Here are a couple of the ones which are worth opening. Mine got Darren to endorse it as "creepy". You can't do much better:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Knob-Eyeballs/m-p/2523334#M766596

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Knob-Eyeballs/m-p/2522728#M766458

Well. It wasn't particularly hard or time-consuming to code a proper solution. The caveat however is that you either  needed to have done it before and already know the equation (there are lots of these kinds of things in Javascript- including this one) or you needed to very quickly realise the trig and the primitives to use  (usually from experience). Just the x axis doesn't cut it for me.

That's why I think it is a fantastic task. Easy and quick solution if you know it ;)

(Yeah. Yours is super creepy. A fascinating window into your psyche :D )

Edited by ShaunR
  • 3 years later...