Omron E5CN via Modbus

Ano Ano

Hello,

I have a Omron E5CN Temperature controller that I want to use with Labview and Modbus.

I am able to communicate with this controller using Omron's Thermomini software.

MAX is able to validate the and open a session with the device. The controller is connected via a RS232 to USB converter.

I set the controller to modbus but no luck. Maybe its because I dont know how to use the modbus drivers, I havent attempted to use such a device with Labview so I am lost with all this machine codes !

Any advice towards a newbie on how to use this controller with Labview/Modbus?

The programming manual for this controller is here

The hardest thing to find is the base Modbus address. No manufacturer seems to put the exact correct address in their manuals, so you'll have to hunt a bit to find the correct base address. Everything after that is offset from the base address.

Which mod us library are you using? Is it the free one off ni.com?

From a quick look at the commands you need to be using the register accesses for the data. With the free mod us library I believe you should then be able to send the addresses as the manual suggests, some other implementations require an offset depending on the data you are reading. Generally 3 for read only registers (or variables as the manual calls thru) or 4 for read/write registers so the address for a read only register at address 1 appears as 40001. the addresses appear to be detailed in section 6.

Hopefully this is a starting point to decipher some of the data you are seeing. Let me know what library your using and I may. E able to be a little more specific.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...