Accessing Controls In SubVI Via Reference Cluster

rrojas

I have thirty-eight (38) controls on my front panel that I wish to be able to access, and change particular vaues of, in a sub-VI.

What I am doing is creating references for each of the controls on my main VI. Then I am creating controls for each reference and putting each of these reference controls into a cluster.

Then I created a reference to that cluster or reference controls and fed that reference into my sub-VI. I then used a property node to extract the "value" of this reference, which is a cluster. Then I use Unbundle by Name in order to select a particular control reference. I feed this reference into a new value property node to attempt to change its value, but at this point LabVIEW tells me that the object reference is invalid.

Am I going about this the right way or is there a better way to do it?

The image of my sub-VI and the place where I get an error message is attached.

Thanks in advance.

post-1029-1100549207.jpg?width=400

I think you're making things much toooooo complicated.

To modify the content of a control in a sub-vi, just create a reference from the control and feed it to the sub-vi. In the sub vi, use this ref to modify the value/property.

In your example add a bundle before the sub-vi, feed the cluster to the sub-vi, and in the sub-vi unbundle your cluster.

Didier

I think you're making things much toooooo complicated.

To modify the content of a control in a sub-vi, just create a reference from the control and feed it to the sub-vi. In the sub vi, use this ref to modify the value/property.

In your example add a bundle before the sub-vi, feed the cluster to the sub-vi, and in the sub-vi unbundle your cluster.

Didier

2653[/snapback]

I tried that, but I still get an invalid object reference when I unbundle-by-name and feed the reference into the property node.

But just to make sure you and I aren't thinking about different things, what exactly is entailed in making a cluster out of these references? In my block diagram when I created a reference for each of the controls, I was unable to wrap a cluster structure around them. I had to create controls for each reference, which then appeared on the FP, and then I was able to jam these controls into a cluster.

Is there a way I can directly stick the references into a cluster on the block diagram?

I tried that, but I still get an invalid object reference when I unbundle-by-name and feed the reference into the property node. 

But just to make sure you and I aren't thinking about different things, what exactly is entailed in making a cluster out of these references? In my block diagram when I created a reference for each of the controls, I was unable to wrap a cluster structure around them. I had to create controls for each reference, which then appeared on the FP, and then I was able to jam these controls into a cluster.

Is there a way I can directly stick the references into a cluster on the block diagram?

2665[/snapback]

You have to use the bundle function on the diagram and wire each control reference control into the bundlw function. I think the problem occurs when you grab the controls and put them into the cluster. You must do this programmatically as I state.

In my block diagram when I created a reference for each of the controls, I was unable to wrap a cluster structure around them. I had to create controls for each reference, which then appeared on the FP, and then I was able to jam these controls into a cluster.

2665[/snapback]

As Michael stated, wire the references to the "bundle" not "bundle by name". Now on the output of the "bundle" right click and create a control. You directly get a correct cluster-control on your front-panel thich you can copy-paste to your sub-vi. Afterwards just delete the control on your main-vi, since it's not used anymore.