My favorite childhood videogame - in FPGA!

crelf

Pretty interesting, which is why I told you about it. You posting it kinda feels like you are stealing my internet points. I'll just have to make some posts around here that don't add anything to the conversation to get my post count up.

Well, you'd certainly be the first one to try that technique.

The writeup is pretty interesting. I'm implemented a MIPS processor, as well as a variety of custom logic, in VHDL and really liked playing with the language. Maybe I'll be picking up a Spartan 3E soon...

• 8 months later...

"Maybe Hoovah is really Crelf's alter-ego, which he uses to irk people?" - Gary Rubin

How does crelf irking hooovahh fit into all of this?  Is crelf just irking himself to get his own post count up??  He's kinda slacking at only 5,744 posts.

Cool. On a slighty related note, there's a guy here who's opening up a 'retro-cade'. He's got a about a hundred game machines starting with Asteroids and going through a few things from the late 90s.  I've helped him refurbish a couple.  Lots of fun.  It's open in just a few days.  I can't wait.

WW

"Maybe Hoovah is really Crelf's alter-ego, which he uses to irk people?" - Gary Rubin

How does crelf irking hooovahh fit into all of this?  Is crelf just irking himself to get his own post count up??  He's kinda slacking at only 5,744 posts.

I really like that quote because at one point, joking or not Gary Rubin said that in a post.  I thought it was funny so I made it my signature.  Crelf at first was not amused and thought having that as my signature would perpetuated the idea that this account was ran by crelf and he was just irking people.  We are separate people of course or so we'd like you to believe.

Regarding the Zimbabwe 100 Trillion dollar bill.  I heard that when that bill was issues before it was in the hands of consumers, inflation had grown even more, and when the banks got those 100 trillion dollar bills they were instructed to write another zero on the end of each bill.  Not sure if it was true or not.  I've thought about buying some just to have in my wallet for a tip, or a joke with a bartender.  http://zimbabwedollars.net/

Cool. On a slighty related note, there's a guy here who's opening up a 'retro-cade'. He's got a about a hundred game machines starting with Asteroids and going through a few things from the late 90s.  I've helped him refurbish a couple.  Lots of fun.  It's open in just a few days.  I can't wait.

WW

Mid-life crisis?

• 4 weeks later...

WW

I remember reading about Asteroids in a C´t article.  They mentioned how the graphics output was vector-based and not raster-based as it is today.  They had a competition to re-create the game.  It was cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You're not the only one.  I also remember PLAYING asteroids if that makes you feel and better.....

I remember when my friend got an Atari game console when it first came out; we went over to his house to play Asteroids.  He was LUCKY!  A few years later my parents bought us an Intellivision.  I wanted an Atari :(.  Sports games were better on Intellivision, though.

Aonther sign that you're starting to get old is when your similar-age colleagues are becoming grandparents.

Man I remember how excited I was when I got a Nintendo GameCube for Christmas.  Many hours were spent playing All-Star Baseball 2002, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II.

If someone around the office said something like that I would be concerned.  It was bad enough when I was working with people born after 1990.  Something about working with someone from another decade messes with my head.  In 5 short years it is possible I could work with someone born after 2000.

Something about working with someone from another decade messes with my head.

I agree with this statement 100%.  It's just weird to find out that some really clever people were born WAY after me.  It leaves the thought "Well what the heck have I been doing all that time?" which if course is completely silly because I was out drinking for most of my University life.....  I know exactly what I've been doing :thumbup1: