Sending 5VDC Signal USB 6009 w/ Macintosh

rob546109

Only last week I had to diagnose a problem with one of these units in a new application, and the problem was they didn’t read the manual before wiring it up for 5VDC output (it’s TTL current-sink and they wired it as current-source). So I can’t really tell what kind of help the OP needs.

The application is to activate a electromechanical relay I need a 5VDC 1milliamp pulse. I have read the manual that came with the DAQ device but it says nothing about the LabVIEW programming to handshake with the DAQ device or how to make LabVIEW talk to the DAQ device. If there is a manual for the Apple Macintosh version of LabVIEW (it does not have the nice tools for DAQ that windows LabVIEW) please direct me to a manual of DAQ programming for the Apple Macintosh version of LabVIEW

Are you aware of the “Measurement and Automation Explorer” or “MAX”? This is a NI application that should install with LabVIEW (I think it should exist on Mac OSX versions). It is used to set up “Tasks” that can be called within LabVIEW (and as asbo points out, there should be examples to help you at that point).

Are you aware of the “Measurement and Automation Explorer” or “MAX”? This is a NI application that should install with LabVIEW (I think it should exist on Mac OSX versions). It is used to set up “Tasks” that can be called within LabVIEW (and as asbo points out, there should be examples to help you at that point).

Start testing your 6009 using Measurement and Automation Explorer” or “MAX” (Has a blue and yellow icon) is a good idea. It should also install with the CD/DVD that came with your 6009. Under "My system" and "Devices and Interface" you should be able to see your 6009.

I have downloaded the driver software and it does recognize my 6009 device but there is very little getting started information for the beginner. That brings me back to my original question of has anyone created a vi to generated a 5 VDC 1 Milliamp pulse output signal from a Macintosh ( OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) using LabVIEW 2011 and a NI-6009 USB DAQ device?

Once you have the driver installed it should install some api examples. The location is in http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BEA8C88ED8B09AF286256ED0004544F7

There maybe some hardware limitations on what you want to do though. May DAQ cards would use a counter to generate a digital pulse but the 6009 an only use the counters as inputs judging by the spec. This means you will have to use the analog output lines instead but this can only be done ith software timing which is going to limit the timing accuracy you can achieve. The lines are capable of the current though.

In terms of software examples therefore check any analog output for the API calls you need.