ATE Log files protection

Grey

Hi

I build ATEs.

ATEs create log files and save it in a location at local hard disc for every pass DUTs.

Is there any way I restrict operator not to modify the log file location ..i.e create a new log file himself / modify the content of log files etc..

the idea is only the test software can create the log files not by operator at any way..

I tried to modify the access privilege of operator login by only giving read/write access (not modify access).still not able to create foolproof.

thanks.

The program will have the same privileges as the operator unless you have the program run under a different login. That would be a reasonable way to go about it.

Another way would be to provide a viewing window/application that only allows viewing then not tell the operator where the file is located.

One solution is to close Windows Explorer when starting your test application (or never allowing it to start on the operator account in the first place).

Alternatively, use a file format with protections built in. For example, I have a project which reports to XLS format and utilizes the built-in spreadsheet protection functionality. Even knowing where the file is, the operator cannot modify the sheet without knowing the password.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

if the log files are stored locally then you could try to lock the operator.

So this is how to (assuming Windows XP as operating system).

1. The computer of a test system is configured in a way like that after booting the test software is launched automatically.

The window appearance of the test program is set to "modal", which means it will always stay in the front

and thus blocking or hiding other windows in the background (except for other windows with setting

“modal”, which were initiated by test program as well).

Additionally following these steps will eliminate the appearance of other windows so there will be no other

windows, only the test program itself.

2. The desktop remains blank. There are no shortcuts to My computer, Network environment, My

documents, Trash, Windows-Explorer.

A shortcut to manually start the test program might be an option.

But when using special option from within Registry no symbols at all will be displayed on the desktop.

3. The taskbar and the start menu will still be available (they could also be cancelled) but limited to:

Start test software

Shut down computer

Log-off current user

4. The start menu is only accessible when the test software is not running. This is due to the “modal“

behaviour of the test software.

5. To prevent the user from changing all these settings, the control buttons to adjust window settings will

be disabled, there will be no option “settings” available when right-clicking on “My computer”, Desktop

and task bar.

6. When quitting the test software the window will be closed.

The computer will not be shut down at this moment.

Shut down has to be initiated manually.

It is possible to restart the test software (via start menu, desktop) or to log-off the current user.

There is a disadvantage when shutting down the computer on exit of the test software.

One could open the taskmanager and stop the test software.

But here the computer will not be shut down.

If we would rely only on this option and the computer configured as per standard Windows configuration

then all these options would become accessible: My computer, Windows-Explorer, start menu (all

programs available), run, control panel, …

7. Deactivate autorun for external medias (CD, USB stick).

Like this no other program can be started except for the test software.

There will be no run option, no command prompt, no regedit.

It will also not be possible to create shortcuts to other programs.

Good luck!

Espelkamper