New right-click like-items feature is kind-of bogus

I completely agree, and I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who thinks this is the better way of doing things.

I also wanted to mention that I didn't think this was a "new" feature. I think the only new thing NI added in 2012 was the visible labels. Just so others don't get confused, in 2011 I can select multiple items, and right click and I will get the properties option (I don't remember what version that was added). In 2012 they added the Visible Labels option. I did not think that NI had said that there were other new right click options in 2012, other than Visible Labels.

I also wanted to mention that I didn't think this was a "new" feature.

Actually, it was new in 2012 - see Productivity Improvements > Right-click menu option for multiple selected items. I was really excited about it when I heard this was coming (and it is neat on some things - try selecting multiple FP controls, right click and create references - BAM!

I think the only new thing NI added in 2012 was the visible labels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "visible labels", but there was a bunch of improvements in 2012, with some of them being in the IDE: http://www.ni.com/labview/whatsnew/

Ugh - I just realised that link would be overwritten with other stuff when 2013 comes out :( For perpetuity, here's a copied list from that link:

Productivity Enhancements

Stability Improvements

Support for Single-Precision Floating-Point Data Type on FPGA Targets

Templates and Sample Projects

Right-click menu option for multiple selected items

Specify default label position for controls

Specify default label position for constants

Specify default label position for indicators

Automatic concatenating arrays leaving loops

Conditionally process loop output

Quick drop shortcuts for label positioning

Remove broken wires from selected area

Edit string constant dialog box

Subdiagram label for block diagram structures

Support for Arrays in High Throughput Math Functions (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

Support for Arrays and Clusters in Single-Cycle Timed Loops (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

New SoftMotion Express Vis (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Contour Express VI (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Improvements to the IMAQ Learn Camera Model VI (NI Vision Development Module)

Improvements to IMAQ Learn Distortion Model VI (NI Vision Development Module)

The Data Matrix, PDF417, and QR barcode reading steps are now combined into one Read 2D Barcode step (NI Vision Development Module)

Configure Steering Frame Express VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Take Simulation Steps VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Initialize Serial Arm VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Acquire Kinematic Parameters VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

New Functionality in Get Simulator Reference Polymorphic VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Additional modes for Start Simulator Service VI (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Wait Until Done VI for Synchronous operations (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Generate motion profiles with new Solve Profile method (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Motor Control VIs for brushed servo and stepper motor controllers (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Programmatic table creation for contour moves (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Programmatically set axis properties (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Analysis

Convex Polygon Intersection VI

Polygon Centroid VI

LabVIEW GPU Toolkit

LabVIEW Sparse Matrix and Advanced Analysis Toolkit

LabVIEW Biomedical Toolkit

Support for Cell Arrays (MathScript RT Module)

Organize multiple data-types with a single variable (MathScript RT Module)

New properties for cells class (MathScript RT Module)

New properties for structs class (MathScript RT Module)

Access Model Hierarchy function (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Output Node of the Control & Simulation Loop (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Support for stiff ordinary differential equations (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Support for differential algebraic equation solvers (Control Design and Simulation Module)

New Model Hierarchy palette for configuring model parameters (Control Design and Simulation Module

New Controllers palette for linear models (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Delay input by discreet time steps (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Specify type of algorithm to use for solving the Riccati equation (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Nyquist VI can separate contours for positive and negative frequencies (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Margins function returns gain, phase and delay (Control Design and Simulation Module)

Support for binocular stereo vision (NI Vision Development Module)

Support for advanced Data Matrix parameters (NI Vision Development Module)

Multitone API (LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Measurement Suite)

Signal Generator API (LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Measurement Suite)

Single-Plane Balancing Application Example (LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Measurement Suite)

Data Communication

Web Services Management page

Shared variables accessible via web services

HTTP / HTTPS Client VIs Included

FTP VIs Included

Interoperability Improvements

TDMS Advanced Data Reference I/O palette

TDMS Streaming VIs and Functions supported on Mac and Linux

Import Industry-Standard CAD Robot Models (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Improved Support for Common Types of Robotic Arms (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Generated .NET Interop Assembly Improvements (Application Builder)

Generated Shared Library Improvements (Application Builder)

Create installers that define an executable to run during uninstallation (Application Builder)

Performance Improvements in Building Applications (Application Builder)

Build API supports Project Reference (Application Builder)

Support for the ISO 15415-2004 and AIM DPM-1-2006 Data Matrix grading standards (NI Vision Development Module)

Support for the ISO 15415-2004 and AIM DPM-1-2006 Data Matrix grading standards (NI Vision Development Module)

New shortcut for starting and stopping SolidWorks simulations (LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module)

Advanced Environment Improvements

Support for the FPGA Interface from LabVIEW 64-bit Host VIs

Probes for additional data types

Configurable path truncation display

Additional data type details in Contextual Help Window

User configurable compiler settings

Separate compiled code for Express VIs

Separate compiled code for custom controls

Separate compiled code for LabVIEW classes

Separate compiled code for project libraries

Separate compiled code for statechart libraries

Separate compiled code for XControls

Dialog box enhancements

Redesigned properties dialog for front panel Panes

Error ring constant

Event driven programming in Base Package

Polymorphic inputs to Mean VI

Specify initial element value for 'Complex Queue PtByPt' VI

Specify initial element value for 'Data Queue PtByPt' VI

New and changed VI Server classes, properties, methods and events

JKI VI Package Manager Installer Included

Compile Worker Support for Linux (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

New Rangefinder Indicator (LabVIEW Robotics Module)

Object-Oriented Improvements

Actor Framework 4.0 included in vi.lib

Actor Framework Message Maker

Pseudopath input for 'Get LV Class Default Value VI'

Improved Support for LabVIEW Classes on FPGA targets

Performance Improvements and Optimizations

Performance Improvements for Unused Inline SubVIs (LabVIEW Real-Time)

IP Builder for LabVIEW FPGA

Additional Control over Memory Implementation for Array Constants (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

Improvements to DMA and Peer-to-Peer FIFOs (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

Improvements to Storing Data across multiple clock domains (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

Improved performance of FIFOs in a single clock domain (LabVIEW FPGA Module)

Optimizations for parallel execution of vision analysis (NI Vision Development Module)

Unfortunately, the reason that this doesn't work the way you expect is that it was a lot more expensive to implement multi-select right-click menus than you would think.

We don't have plans to put every right-click menu option into the multi-select menu framework, but if there are specific ones that you think have high value (e.g. common operations, operations not in Properties) then please let me know or propose it on Idea Exchange and I'll see what we can do.

Actually, it was new in 2012 - see Productivity Improvements > Right-click menu option for multiple selected items. I was really excited about it when I heard this was coming (and it is neat on some things - try selecting multiple FP controls, right click and create references - BAM!

Your example was with two string constants, so that's what I tested, which only had the two items you showed "Visible Items" (not labels), and "Properties". 2011 has "Properties" but not "Visible Items", so I was confused. I wasn't aware that this was a new feature that would work differently with other items on the front panel as well.

Edited by hooovahh

Your example was with two string constants, so that's what I tested, which only had the two items you showed "Visible Items" (not labels), and "Properties". 2011 has "Properties" but not "Visible Items", so I was confused.

Yeah, sorry - I should have made that it was just one example. There's several difference between many items, and even shared stuff between less-like items. But there's still not as much as I'd expected for like (and, well, same) items...

Unfortunately, the reason that this doesn't work the way you expect is that it was a lot more expensive to implement multi-select right-click menus than you would think.

We don't have plans to put every right-click menu option into the multi-select menu framework, but if there are specific ones that you think have high value (e.g. common operations, operations not in Properties) then please let me know or propose it on Idea Exchange and I'll see what we can do.

That makes is sound like you're implementing each and every item one by one? Wouldn't it make sense to just compare the items, and, if they're the same, allowed everything *but* restricted items? I guess it could be a similar impact, but my gut is telling me that the latter would be more efficient.

Or are you saying the current architecture of the LabVIEW source code won't lend itself to that without a major re-write?

I think the issue is that the feature list is vague and possibly misleading: "Right-click menu option for multiple selected items" does not indicate how many menu items, which ones or even if it's more than one. So hey, they added one menu item so the feature's complete? But I agree, it's kinda lame to just do the bare minimum and call it done. NI could have gone the extra mile and delighted the customer by fully fleshing out the list.

Christina, asking us to vote on menu items probably won't work. None of the menu items will garner enough votes to get on NI's radar.

Or are you saying the current architecture of the LabVIEW source code won't lend itself to that without a major re-write?

Unfortunately, that is what I'm saying. There is, as it turns out, a reason why we went without multi-select right-click menus for so long.

it's kinda lame to just do the bare minimum and call it done.

I agree it's less-than-optimal. I don't think of it as "done" but I can see your point that it might be hard to lobby for adding particular menu items. Is there anything that would make you more "delighted" without covering every available right-click menu option?

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier, but the multi-select right-click not working in the Control Editor (and thus also for LVClass private data) is a bug that has been reported and should be fixed in a future version.

Christina, asking us to vote on menu items probably won't work. None of the menu items will garner enough votes to get on NI's radar.

How about this: select two items that are the same (eg: 2 strings), look at the list - implement those. Repeat for all node types :)

Unfortunately, that is what I'm saying. There is, as it turns out, a reason why we went without multi-select right-click menus for so long.

OK - I'd figured as much.

I don't think of it as "done"...

Well, you might not think of it as "done", but your new feature list suggests otherwise :)

Is there anything that would make you more "delighted" without covering every available right-click menu option?

How about a hook into LabVIEW to allow developers to add their own right-click menu items similar to the "JKI Right Click Framework"?

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier, but the multi-select right-click not working in the Control Editor (and thus also for LVClass private data) is a bug that has been reported and should be fixed in a future version.

Thanks, I will take a look for the CAR

How about a hook into LabVIEW to allow developers to add their own right-click menu items similar to the "JKI Right Click Framework"?

That would be awesome to have in addition to what's there (great idea). But it won't satisfy the question asked by crelf because I don't want to do work or programming to add features that should already be there. So user defined augmentation is great, but I should have a fleshed-out base to begin with.

It's only software...

• Like 1

Even more confusing:

Select multiple items in LVOOP class private data. No right-click menu is displayed! :frusty:

Yeah... I didn't even know this feature was being worked on, so I didn't advocate for any class items to be included in the set of supported options... Luckily the Create Accessor dialog already allows you to do multiple select within itself.

It's only software...

And time. And staff. Which is why I've encouraged us to just focus on making LV self aware, so it can upgrade itself.
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys ought to see some of AQ's attempts to make LV self aware. It's about as creepy as

, crossed with

WTF did I just watch? This is the line that got me.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it's "dead" but it seems to me that it's at least incapacitated.