TODO: Find a way to generate a task list

mje

I speckle my code with tons of TODO comments when I develop. When I find time, I'll often do a search for "TODO" and see if I can hammer any of them out, but in LabVIEW all I get is the name of the VI of any comments the search finds containing my search text with no context as to what any of the items are (unlike say the exceptionally useful task list in Visual Studio).

Has anyone written a tool that allows me to scrape stuff like this from my project VIs? I'm aware of the various idea exchange entries, I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that will do the job now.

• Like 1

Another alternative is simply to create an empty TODO VI (a red or bright green icon for it is a good idea) and simply drop it there. Then, you can do a find all instances on it and go through the instances.

Go a step farther, and make the VI broken. One easy way is to make one input "Required" -- then you can "turn off" the compiler error by creating a constant on that input. This forces yourself to go back and fix it, ensuring you can't forget and, say, make a build without the fix.

Go a step farther, and make the VI broken. One easy way is to make one input "Required" -- then you can "turn off" the compiler error by creating a constant on that input. This forces yourself to go back and fix it, ensuring you can't forget and, say, make a build without the fix.

Or maybe a required output? Don't know if this is still possible...

Most of my to do items aren't things that strictly need to be done so I wouldn't want to break code with them. They're usually along the lines of notes to work on inplaceness, or reminders of the limitations of some placeholder code which eventually need to be ironed out. I do like the idea of a subVI though!

Most of my to do items aren't things that strictly need to be done so I wouldn't want to break code with them. They're usually along the lines of notes to work on inplaceness, or reminders of the limitations of some placeholder code which eventually need to be ironed out. I do like the idea of a subVI though!

I'm in this same boat as well. I may want to bring my attention to something later, but I want the code to still be able to be ran. Using something like TODO: and searching for that string (or using the tool posted earlier) helps me see that something is important about the code, without having to break the VI.