Reading JSON into LabVIEW

jzoller

Not sure how many are still reading. :rolleyes:

I'm still tagging along, but I haven't done any testing myself yet...

It's not a case of liking. There's some great stuff in there. It's a case that not everyone can use OpenG stuff. It's also not really appropriate to expect someone to install a shedload of 3rd party stuff that isn't required just to use a small API (I had to install OpenG especially just to look at your code and uninstall it afterwards)

I have heaps of reuse installed so that I can draw on it naturally. If I need to, I just do a project analysis afterwards to audit what was used. If anyone's going to, I would expect you to use a totally different paradigm. :D

Nearly. Flatten adds things like quotes and brackets. For conversion, these need to be removed.

The package needs a pair of utility VIs that convert strings to/from the JSON valid form (in quotes, backslash control characters, possible unicode encoding).

It's not a case of liking. There's some great stuff in there. It's a case that not everyone can use OpenG stuff. It's also not really appropriate to expect someone to install a shedload of 3rd party stuff that isn't required just to use a small API (I had to install OpenG especially just to look at your code and uninstall it afterwards)

The variant-to-JSON stuff could be kept separate as an optional feature that requires OpenG (a lot of work to rewrite that without OpenG). Otherwise, I think I just used the faster version of “Trim Whitespace”, easily replaced.

The package needs a pair of utility VIs that convert strings to/from the JSON valid form (in quotes, backslash control characters, possible unicode encoding).

Do they need to be utility VIs? We can detect control chars (they would break the lookup, I think, so need to be removed) and to escape the Flatten could just have a boolean. Not really sure what you have in mind though.

The variant-to-JSON stuff could be kept separate as an optional feature that requires OpenG (a lot of work to rewrite that without OpenG). Otherwise, I think I just used the faster version of “Trim Whitespace”, easily replaced.

If I remember correctly, as long as you keep the copywrite on the VI and. perhaps, the documentation, you can use, modify and do pretty much what you like with them (someone in the OpenG team could advise). It may be possible to rename (so they don't clash) just the variant stuff (there's only a couple) and include them in the package so it is then completely self contained with no dependancies

Might I suggest you place it in the unconfirmed CR so that we can make a list of things that need to be done and to manage it?. We've been rather obnoxious in hijacking JZollers thread-my apologies JZoller! :worshippy:

I have heaps of reuse installed so that I can draw on it naturally. If I need to, I just do a project analysis afterwards to audit what was used. If anyone's going to, I would expect you to use a totally different paradigm. :D

Yeah. There is a re-use library consisting of about 10 VIs for mundane stuff. That's about all I need from project to project :). Everything else is self contained APIs

Edited by ShaunR

Do they need to be utility VIs?

I don’t mean utility VIs for the User of the API, rather, I mean “utility” for writing the package internally. Conversion to/from valid JSON string format will be required in multiple places. I tend to call subVIs, needed by the class methods, but not themselves using those classes in any way, “Utility” subVIs.

If I remember correctly, as long as you keep the copywrite on the VI and. perhaps, the documentation, you can use, modify and do pretty much what you like with them (someone in the OpenG team could advise). It may be possible to rename (so they don't clash) just the variant stuff (there's only a couple) and include them in the package so it is then completely self contained with no dependancies.

There’s a good 30+ VIs in dependancies. Copying all that to support my variant-to-JSON stuff is excessive. Compare it with just changing the one “remove whitespace” subVI to make the rest of the package independent. But as I said, it should be easy to make the variant stuff an optional add-on, for those who don’t mind adding a couple of OpenG packages.

Might I suggest you place it in the unconfirmed CR so that we can make a list of things that need to be done and to manage it?. We've been rather obnoxious in hijacking JZollers thread-my apologies JZoller! :worshippy:

Is it OK to put unfinished stuff in the CR, even uncertified? I’m afraid I’m about to go on two weeks vacation, but I could put what we have to this point in the CR and commit some free time finishing it when I get back. Don’t whip up a thousand and one pretty polymorphic instances until we get the core stuff finished. :D

Yeah. There is a re-use library consisting of about 10 VIs for mundane stuff. That's about all I need from project to project :). Everything else is self contained APIs

At some point I switched from not using OpenG if possible, to considering it “standard LabVIEW”. VIPM making it so easy probably contributed to this shift.

I don’t mean utility VIs for the User of the API, rather, I mean “utility” for writing the package internally. Conversion to/from valid JSON string format will be required in multiple places. I tend to call subVIs, needed by the class methods, but not themselves using those classes in any way, “Utility” subVIs.

There’s a good 30+ VIs in dependancies. Copying all that to support my variant-to-JSON stuff is excessive. Compare it with just changing the one “remove whitespace” subVI to make the rest of the package independent. But as I said, it should be easy to make the variant stuff an optional add-on, for those who don’t mind adding a couple of OpenG packages.

I don't think there are that many. Guess I'll have to install them again and find out :lol:

Is it OK to put unfinished stuff in the CR, even uncertified? I’m afraid I’m about to go on two weeks vacation, but I could put what we have to this point in the CR and commit some free time finishing it when I get back. Don’t whip up a thousand and one pretty polymorphic instances until we get the core stuff finished. :D

I would. There are a lot less "working" things in there already :) Alternatively. Start a new thread.

At some point I switched from not using OpenG if possible, to considering it “standard LabVIEW”. VIPM making it so easy probably contributed to this shift.

Indeed. I have to be very careful about dependencies. Some clients insist on "approved vendors" or "no 3rd Party/open source" and, for most of the stuff in OpenG that I would use; I have my own versions that I've built up over the years. It's just easier not to use it than get bogged down in lengthy approval processes.

I would. There are a lot less "working" things in there already :) Alternatively. Start a new thread.

Added to the CR.

Indeed. I have to be very careful about dependencies. Some clients insist on "approved vendors" or "no 3rd Party/open source" and, for most of the stuff in OpenG that I would use; I have my own versions that I've built up over the years. It's just easier not to use it than get bogged down in lengthy approval processes.

But won’t this package be 3rd party/open source? To everyone but us at least. And OpenG is a “Silver Add-on” on the LabVIEW Tools Network (oooh, shiny!).

• 4 weeks later...

But won’t this package be 3rd party/open source? To everyone but us at least. And OpenG is a “Silver Add-on” on the LabVIEW Tools Network (oooh, shiny!).

By this reasoning you wouldn't be able to add anything from lavag either including this library. I find that a bogus reason. Strictly speaking even your already existing reuse libraries and even any newly developed VIs for a specific project would have to be considered unapproved under this aspect. Yes you can write unit tests and whatever else to get them stamped as some sort of approved, but so can you with 3rd party libraries.

Not saying here you are wrong but trying to point out that the hysteric fear about contaminating something with open source and whatever is leading down a very slippery path for sure.

• Like 1

By this reasoning you wouldn't be able to add anything from lavag either including this library.

That's right (and I have never used any software from LavaG in a commercial application). However, it is much easier to gain approval for a single self contained API than it is for one that relies on another 20 (like the OpenG). The problem with the OpenG stuff is that you want one little VI and you have to get approval for 120. It's easier and quicker to write the bit you need yourself.

And no. My re-use libraries are not a problem as I am an approved vendor.

That's right (and I have never used any software from LavaG in a commercial application). However, it is much easier to gain approval for a single self contained API than it is for one that relies on another 20 (like the OpenG).

The JSON package currently depends on four OpenG packages: Data, Array, String, and Error. The array stuff is only used in one place that I’d like to rewrite anyway, so it is only three packages that are required. And the variant-handling stuff is widely applicable; if I wrote Variant-based APIs to be “self contained”, I would quickly wind up in a situation where I have multiple non-identicle sets of variant-handling VIs installed on my machine. Not ideal. Switching to using the off-palette VariantDataType VIs installed with LabVIEW is one option, but then if NI hasn’t put it on the palette, don’t you need to gain approval for that?

The JSON package currently depends on four OpenG packages: Data, Array, String, and Error. The array stuff is only used in one place that I’d like to rewrite anyway, so it is only three packages that are required. And the variant-handling stuff is widely applicable; if I wrote Variant-based APIs to be “self contained”, I would quickly wind up in a situation where I have multiple non-identicle sets of variant-handling VIs installed on my machine. Not ideal. Switching to using the off-palette VariantDataType VIs installed with LabVIEW is one option, but then if NI hasn’t put it on the palette, don’t you need to gain approval for that?

No. It doesn't matter. Only that it is an approved vendor (which NI must be otherwise they wouldn't be using LabVIEW).

But lets not run before we can walk. Lets get it all working properly first. As I seem to be the only one that suffers from this, I will gradually replace the dependencies and you can decide whether you want to update the main trunk with the branch as and when it happens. I have to do it anyway, but you don't need to.

• 1 year later...
*taps microphone* This thing still on? Or did LV13's JSON primitives supplant it?

I have zero time to look at it at the moment, but it isn’t clear to me how one would use the 2013 JSON primitives dynamically.  If I have static clusters defined it should be hopefully much faster, but what if I haven’t got static clusters?  How do I take JSON configuration objects from several modules and combine them into a top-level JSON “config” object, without the top level code having the link-to and explicitly use the type-deffed clusters of all the modules?