Modifying a Labview built MSI?

Problem:

An installer for a LV api to a particular device was built several years ago. When LV 2012 was released users discovered there is no option to install the package for LV2012. LV 2009-11 will show up as options if the users has them installed, but 2012 isn't offered.

Rebuilding the installer would be fairly straightforward... if the final source code, palettes, and installer configuration were available. Unfortunately, it appears they were not saved in scc.

Question:

Is it possible to use Orca or some other tool to easily update the MSI database so LV2012 is presented as an option? I know directly editing an MSI database is discouraged, but I'd rather not try to rebuild everything from scratch if it can be avoided.

Sounds like you already have an idea of what to do. I've used Orca before to modify MSI installers. I used it to allow an installer to run under a unsupported operating system (Windows 7 at the time). I would give it a shot but adding an option sounds more difficult than just forcing the installer to run like I did. I would be surprises if it wasn't possible, but I would also be surprised if it was easy.

Sounds like you already have an idea of what to do.

Yeah, but I don't know if what I want to do is a good idea, nor do I know how to do it. I'm hoping there are users around here with a better understanding of the MSI technology and database who can chime in and help answer those questions, but it appears to be a pretty esoteric skill set.

Can't say for sure that Orca would work for you here. But I had to use it once to convince a popular PLC DE that it could indeed install on the 'home' version of Windows XP.

I had zero previous experience with anything similar. But the interface that Orca provided was intuitive enough ( at the time ) that I was able to figure out what I wanted to do.