Posting two messages combines into one message?

When posting a message, then soon after posting a second message on the same thread before another person posts, rather than creating a new message, the second message appends the first message as an edit. Can this behavior be disabled at the user level or community level?

And what rules govern this behavior? It seems that until N amount of time elapses, the next message will edit the first message -- what is N? (Anecdotally, it feels like an hour or so)

It might be because you're not a premium member. I thought the window was like 5 minutes, but I'm not positive.

Test double post...

Nope, mine get combined as well. The IP.Board feature is called automerge and an administrator can disable it if so inclined. I don't know what it's set to right now, but I have definitely seen double posts within an hour of each other.

It might be because you're not a premium member.

Ouch! Below the belt! :P

No, but I would vote for turning this feature off -- the main reason is when trying to reply to two separate veins of conversation within one thread. Having two discrete posts is more organized. (e.g., for linking to specific content, for readability in digestible chunks, for email subscriptions...) Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Ouch! Below the belt! :P

I know some other boards do this :) I wasn't sure if LAVA was in that circle...

No, but I would vote for turning this feature off -- the main reason is when trying to reply to two separate veins of conversation within one thread. Having two discrete posts is more organized. (e.g., for linking to specific content, for readability in digestible chunks, for email subscriptions...) Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I have a habit of merging double posts that I see. You make a point about divergence that I haven't really considered, but I would counter that different conversations should have different threads (and that's what the mods here tend to enforce as well).