Determining installed RTE Versions/Platforms

mje

This is a bit of a cross-post from the darkside, but I'm not seeing much traction there after a few hours...

We have a LabVIEW application which we distribute in both 32- and 64-bit versions and ran into a show-stopper defect when trying to build the 64-bit installer for our application using the LabVIEW 2011 IDE. To make a long story short while we work through this with NI engineers, I'm also tasked with exploring using third-party installer tools. Basically I need to create an installer that distributes our application, along with three run-times (LabVIEW, .NET, MSVC) for Windows systems.

So the question is how would I determine if a particular LabVIEW RTE has been installed? The registry subkeys under HKLM\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\LabVIEW Run-Time\ seem to be a good hint, but how do I distinguish between a 32-bit and 64-bit RTE that might be on the same computer? Is this even the right way to do it?

Anyone have experience with this?

-m

If you're on a 64-bit machine, the 32-bit RTEs will show up under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\National Instruments\LabVIEW Run-Time\. If you're not on a 64-bit machine, there will be no HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node.

This checks out my machine:

post-13461-0-36691400-1352931659.png

post-13461-0-30011200-1352931666_thumb.p

post-13461-0-23104100-1352931671.png

I would have no qualms about querying the registry, though I might go as far as testing the validity of the Path value.

• Like 2

No problem! You're lucky I actually had a 64-bit RTE installed (though I have no idea why...)

That is odd, I'd assume it was from some NI tool that had been compiled for both 32 and 64 bit because of some increase in performance. Looking at MAX I also have 64-bit 2009, and 64-bit 2010.