TCP with TLS (SSL)

Hello all,

I am currently trying to create an HTTPS server with LabVIEW.

I have been using the built in TCP VI's for communication with the server and client, however I would like to use SSL or TLS in order to encrypt the data that is being sent across the connection. I know that I can point to either the self-signed cert that comes packaged with LabVIEW, or the certificate that we have for our server on-site.

I'm fairly certain that I can achieve this by building an assembly in .NET, and then using it in LabVIEW. I have looked around for TCP with TLS libraries for LabVIEW but could only found some out-of-date ones that didn't work with the newest version of LabVIEW. Do these libraries exist somewhere? And if not, is the .NET approach a solid idea?

Thanks,

Brandon Jones

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 12/9/2013 at 6:34 PM, Runjhun said:

I have done this. You dont get any support from LabVIEW except the .net constructor nodes.

I have downloaded the code for the SSL based TCP server and converted that to LabVIEW code with the help of System and mscorlib dll.

Regards,

Runjhun.

Can you share some examples if available?

On 11/15/2012 at 11:21 PM, ShaunR said:

Are the HTTPS VIs that are shipped with LabVIEW 2010 and later not of any use?

I'm afraid they aren't. The according palette isn't called "HTTP Client" for no reason. Implementing TLS on a listener (server) isn't that much different when using OpenSSL on C programming level but it does require a bit of a different setup than when implementing it on a client connection. And the glue to map it to a system similar to the standard LabVIEW network functions does get a little more complicated.

1 hour ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

I'm afraid they aren't. The according palette isn't called "HTTP Client" for no reason. Implementing TLS on a listener (server) isn't that much different when using OpenSSL on C programming level but it does require a bit of a different setup than when implementing it on a client connection. And the glue to map it to a system similar to the standard LabVIEW network functions does get a little more complicated.

You'd think I would've known that since I produced a toolkit to do exactly that...lol.

Edited by ShaunR