Labview Crashes

Guest jools

Labview is a POS.  It's hung my computer twice.  You'd think NI would get it right after 7 tries.

2728[/snapback]

And, it's understandable that since it's your 1st posting to LAVA, you'd get it wrong :headbang:

Some advice: RTFM, Learn how to ask smart questions, and try to be polite.

:!: Are you here to learn, or here to burn?

Nice trollish first post. :thumbdown:

If you're using LV7, and it's crashing, it sounds to me like poor or inefficient programming style may be to blame which may have lead a memory leak or massive use of memory somewhere (i.e. unknowingly building massive arrays inside of a loop).

I've been using LabVIEW for 5 years, and the only version I've ever used that sometimes crashed was LV5.1 when running NT4.0.

I would suggest that you either take a look at your own programming ability/style, maybe read up a little on LabVIEW and look at what you yourself could have done wrong before pointing the blame at someone else.

Who was it that had in their signature something to the nature of: "Software Development is a race between software developers creating more idiot-proof programs, and the universe creating more idiots"?

• 2 weeks later...
Nice trollish first post.    :thumbdown:

If you're using LV7, and it's crashing, it sounds to me like poor or inefficient programming style may be to blame which may have lead a memory leak or massive use of memory somewhere (i.e. unknowingly building massive arrays inside of a loop).

I've been using LabVIEW for 5 years, and the only version I've ever used that sometimes crashed was LV5.1 when running NT4.0. 

I would suggest that you either take a look at your own programming ability/style, maybe read up a little on LabVIEW and look at what you yourself could have done wrong before pointing the blame at someone else. 

Who was it that had in their signature something to the nature of: "Software Development is a race between software developers creating more idiot-proof programs, and the universe creating more idiots"?

2793[/snapback]

I'm a new user as well, and I've managed to crash my system a couple of times by not stopping programs properly. It says in the manual that hitting the stop button on top (next to the run button) doesn't really stop the program. It seems like it doesn't stop any loops that are active. This is conjecture on my part though, I've only been using it for about a month. Some of the crashing might also be due to me running Windows 98.

I know that when the computer would crash, it had to stop a lot of unnamed processes before it would shut down. I'm guessing those were unfinished loops.

Even though the original poster found an inarticulate way of addressing this issue, it did make me wonder about something.

I've been enclosing everything in While Loops, and placing a stop button within that loop. Is this the safest way to run things continuously?

BTW to the original poster: I've learned that if I save my work often, crashes aren't nearly as stressful. I've also learned that if I post detailed questions, and read the manual thoroughly, I have an easier time getting help. Posting detailed questions (with detailed subject lines) also helps later users because it makes the NG easier to search.

--CS

... It says in the manual that hitting the stop button on top (next to the run button) doesn't really stop the program.  It seems like it doesn't stop any loops that are active.  This is conjecture on my part though, I've only been using it for about a month.  Some of the crashing might also be due to me running Windows 98....

... I've been enclosing everything in While Loops, and placing a stop button within that loop.  Is this the safest way to run things continuously?

2970[/snapback]

K, pressing the stop button on the toolbar next to the RUN button is a no, no :nono: . This is used only as a last resort to break your program if you've made a programming error and you are stuck in an infinite loop or something. You should always create a programmatic stop to your program. The method you use by enclosing code in a while loop is the best... you're on the right track. :thumbup:

BTW to the original poster:  I've learned that if I save my work often, crashes aren't nearly as stressful.  I've also learned that if I post detailed questions, and read the manual thoroughly, I have an easier time getting help.  Posting detailed questions (with detailed subject lines) also helps later users because it makes the NG easier to search.

2970[/snapback]

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really good point of view! That is also my oppinion:

1. Think

2. Read

3. Ask

There are soooo many good books about LV-programming around the world, and the online help IS helpful (not like many Windoze-helps... sorry Bill).

Didier

BTW, when I begun the actual job I had to learn Delphi. Even with countless crashes and 3! OS-reinstalls I still think it is a great language (LV is great toooo ;) ).