Installer for PXI: rtexe + drivers

Hi,

I would like to have a stand-alone installer running on a host pc which is able to install a certain set of drivers on a PXI (like in MAX).

The reason: We ship the same type of PXI together with our test benches to our costumers and when we would like to update the rtexe application, the drivers on the earlier delivered PXIs are to old, to be compatible with the newest software release.

How can that be solved? I heared about images of PXI installations. Don't know if an image is a good idea? The problem is, that we need to have at least one PXI of each kind in house, to build the image for all PXIs out there. Thats not really suitable for us.

If I find a bug and want to send a fixed software the the costumer or if I want to enable new software features on the existing PXIs I would prefer to be able to build an rtexe-installer, which inlcudes all needed driver versions. It should be more or less simple to use right out of the LV project, like it can be done with the PC applications installer (including Run-Time Engine and additional selected files like dynamic loaded VIs).

Has anyone an idea or some suggestions on how to install programmatically drivers on a PXi from remote? In general i have no permission to enter in the costumers network from our site. They also do not have there own develoment systems, just run-time-engine.

I'm using LV2012 + RT on Windows 7 and PXI RT8100

Thanks in advance.

KoBe

Edited by KoBe

I would take a look at using images from the RAD (formerly RTAD) tool at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5986

This allows you to create fully working images of the controllers which guarantees all your versions match. It is also fully open source so you can customise it to make it more specific to your purpose.

Failing that you can use the system configuration API to install components to an RT system if you really want to do individual components.