Suggest a camera for iris recognition

Hi I'm new to this forum and to Labview. I'm doing my Engineering project on Iris using Labview. I know it's becoming very popular these days and it has implemented in mobile phones too.

Can anyone suggest me what camera to use for this? I'm thinking of using a High def. webcam for doing this project. It would be great if someone enlightens me on this, whether it is possible to do with webcams..If so plz suggest me one.

Regards

-Harish

It sounds like you should do some reading about the existing material on the subject and pick a camera that is suitable. Resolution will be important, but only up until you can have enough pixels to clearly define an iris.  The distance from the camera and the optics that are present will also play a role. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Yes I need lots of reading to do. My project is to detect multiple person at a time, just to display name of the person from database(if present) and to take log of them.

I'm thinking of buying this : http://www.flipkart.com/logitech-c310-webcam/p/itmczzccgktpvkjy?pid=ACCCZZC9ZGAH97QE&ref=12e60b4d-a3d9-4261-ad2a-09f48d3230c3&srno=t_8&otracker=from-search&query=webcam

I'm doing this on Labview, Imaq vision assistant..........

Well in order to determine what you need in regards to imaging you need to better define what you are trying to image. Like I mentioned a minimum pixel area is the first thing. I'm not well versed on iris tracking but at some level you will have to have a minimum area. This will also be related to distance from the sensor and the optics in front of it. This is all ignoring the biggest challenges in vision regarding consistency of everything and adapting to inconsistencies.

Short version, buy whatever you like if you cannot nail the requirements down and gather your own data before getting your final hardware. I would imagine from what you've described a decent frame rate will be of importance to you. Consumer products will probably get you started.

• Like 1

Resolution isn't that important for Iris recognition (labview can achieve sub-pixel accuracy and the relative proportions of the eye are quite large). Focus and noise is more of a consideration. Therefore it is important you don't buy a webcam with a fixed focus (mobile phones have auto-focus which makes them extremely useful, webcams don't tend to)

You've probably seen the simple ones with the annulus (Find Circles) that do some distance measurements (Caliper), but you can achieve better than that with LabVIEW and detect the number and sizes of "dark spots" (Particle Analysis Report) and changes in color, shading and discontinuities (ROI Profile).

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1
Resolution isn't that important for Iris recognition (labview can achieve sub-pixel accuracy and the relative proportions of the eye are quite large). Focus and noise is more of a consideration. Therefore it is important you don't buy a webcam with a fixed focus (mobile phones have auto-focus which makes them extremely useful, webcams don't tend to)

You've probably seen the simple ones with the annulus (Find Circles) that do some distance measurements (Caliper), but you can achieve better than that with LabVIEW and detect the number and sizes of "dark spots" (Particle Analysis Report) and changes in color, shading and discontinuities (ROI Profile).

Thanks for information. There are webcams with auto focus like logitech c510 and c525. Do you think its better to buy these? My friend has a canon 1100 DSLR, is it possible to integrate and use it for my project?

There is some minimum threshold for resolution that is necessary to have meaningful data into whatever algorithm he/she wants to use for the project.  Identification of suitable hardware should come from an understanding of what is needed for a particular use case.  ShaunR you seem to have some familiarity with iris tracking (where I do not), however I would suggest that wolverine20 be enabled to select their own hardware after identifying the requirements for his/her particular task.

Thanks for information. There are webcams with auto focus like logitech c510 and c525. Do you think its better to buy these? My friend has a canon 1100 DSLR, is it possible to integrate and use it for my project?

Define what you need for your task and see if the cameras are sufficient.  The canon DSLR won't likely work.

Also make sure whatever camera you buy will work with IMAQ vision assistant.  If its a webcam it may not work with IMAQ.

Neville.

Agreed.  IP cameras are only supported from Basler or Axis.  USB is supported as long as it is DirectShow compatible.  GigE and Firewire are supported. Cameralink and some others are supported as well.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4331B4AA3AE95233862574C200539A2F