Buying a pre-owned LabVIEW license....for MAC

B Rad

I'm not aware of any conditions that would disallow transfering the ownership of a LabVIEW license to someone else. And in most places such a provision in the license agreement would be null and void.

However you need to make sure that you do get the ownership. Simply buying a CD ROM and a license serial number from anywhere might not really give you any rights. I would insist on a document that names the serial number, states the previous owner and also grants an irrecoverable transfer of ownership of that  license and serial number to you. Otherwise you may try to register the software at NI and then get told that you are not the rightful owner and when disputing that, the previous owner suddenly may claim to still own the license.

I do know for sure that NI does actually care about ownership and has in the past contacted us about licenses that we have originally purchased and sold as part of a whole project, when the actual end user did register the serial number as their own, since the registering entity did not match the purchasing entity.

I'm not aware of any conditions that would disallow transfering the ownership of a LabVIEW license to someone else. And in most places such a provision in the license agreement would be null and void.

However you need to make sure that you do get the ownership. Simply buying a CD ROM and a license serial number from anywhere might not really give you any rights. I would insist on a document that names the serial number, states the previous owner and also grants an irrecoverable transfer of ownership of that  license and serial number to you. Otherwise you may try to register the software at NI and then get told that you are not the rightful owner and when disputing that, the previous owner suddenly may claim to still own the license.

I do know for sure that NI does actually care about ownership and has in the past contacted us about licenses that we have originally purchased and sold as part of a whole project, when the actual end user did register the serial number as their own, since the registering entity did not match the purchasing entity.

Transfer. If you have a named user license, computer based license, debug license, or if the SOFTWARE is

Multiple Access Software, you may transfer the SOFTWARE to a third party provided that you notify NI in writing

of such transfer (including the name and location of such third party), such third party accepts the terms and

conditions of this Agreement, and after such transfer, you do not retain any copies of the SOFTWARE (including

all Upgrades that you may have received) nor retain any of the written materials accompanying the SOFTWARE.

NI may, in its discretion, charge you a fee for the transfer of the SOFTWARE. If you have a VLP License, a

Surviving VLP License, a concurrent use license, an academic license (including a student edition license), a

Measurement Studio compile-only, or a debug license, the license is non-transferable and you may not, without

the prior written consent of NI or its affiliates, distribute or otherwise provide the SOFTWARE to any third party or

(with respect to a VLP License or a Surviving VLP License) to any of your sites or facilities not expressly

identified in the applicable documents from NI. If you have any licenses under the EP, such licenses are

non-transferable and you may not, without the prior written consent of NI or an authorized NI Affiliate distribute or

otherwise provide the SOFTWARE to any third party or to any of your sites or facilities other than an EP

Location.

reference

(emphasis added)

Edited by ShaunR