Tales of Debugging and Woe

mje

So this was a really fun one to debug.

Background: this is my first actor framework project and I was having an issue where some of my messages would crash the LabVIEW IDE with an access violation. Four hours and several red herrings later, I present to you the offending code:

post-11742-0-35233000-1361396954.png

This is a simple Enqueue Message VI created by the stock Actor Framework Message Maker in LabVIEW 2012, and as far as I can tell has never seen any manual edits. I mean seriously-- if I had ever touched it no way the diagram would be that messy! The VI shouldn't be foreign to anyone who works with the AF except look carefully at the "DevCmd" (Device Command) object on the block diagram. Somehow that constant has a non-default value. Which is really interesting because the class in question contains an empty private data cluster and it always has. I don't believe the Device Command class has seen any edits either, in fact the class is essentially an interface as it has no state data and only defines a single dynamic dispatch method which is a no-op. Classes derived from Device Command define state and behavior appropriate to whatever that particular command is trying to do.

I have no idea what kind of non-default data might be in an empty object, but there you have it. Anyways, that message is used a lot in my application as ultimately the Actor method invoked by the Message's Do.vi forwards the Device Command to an asynchronous non-Actor task, and there are several specific Device Command implementations. Sure enough, any Device Command I tried to send would crash out with the access violation because of that Send Message VI.

Other interesting things included if I made a selection on the block diagram including the offending constant, I couldn't execute cut/copy commands. Couldn't create VI snippets either.

Anyways, deleting the constant and replacing it solved everything:

post-11742-0-02834100-1361398095.png

I still have no idea how that VI got the way it was. One possibility is the Device Command class is private. I'm wondering if the message maker gets tripped up by this? When the message was originally created, the class was broken until I pulled the message class into scope of the containing library. Perhaps I should have checked the block diagrams?

• Like 2

Heh, looking over my post not sure what I was thinking-- the constant is the message object which does of course have a value. It's the value that's stored that would be empty. Brings up another question though why would a bad value matter if I'm overwriting it in the bundle operation?

I can share your pain.  I have run into similar issues with Actor Framework messages.  I think the Actor Framework exposes some of the corner cases for LabVIEW's error detection and compilation.  I would fully expect LabVIEW to provide a broken VI for your Send Message function.

I would suggest posting this to the Actor Framework forum on the dark side.