Any experiance on runing LV on 2012 or 2008R2 Server

The problem domain of deploying to and developing on a remote Server instance has challenges and nuances not present on desktops and local VMs; yet I have not run into inherent problems or incompatibilities between LabVIEW and Windows Server 2012 (or 2008, when i used that). Are you concerned about something in particular?

The problem domain of deploying to and developing on a remote Server instance has challenges and nuances not present on desktops and local VMs; yet I have not run into inherent problems or incompatibilities between LabVIEW and Windows Server 2012 (or 2008, when i used that). Are you concerned about something in particular?

Which challenges and nuances have you encountered? We will be very seldom physically at the machine for instance, almost every will be done of remotely.

Edited by Anders Björk
Which challenges and nuances have you encountered? We will be very seldom physically at the machine for instance, almost every will be done of remotely.

The most real challenge has been simply interrupted cognition and lost time waiting for things to happen -- connections over RDP are oftentimes klunky -- it feels like I'm always switching between engineering and devops mindsets, and this thread swapping is inefficient -- these are purely anecdotal issues, YMMV. My best advice is to jump right in with what you're trying to do, and post specific issues as you run into them. (Also, it sounds like you're making the good choice to develop locally, then deploy the executable remotely. After walking down the path of attempting to develop remotely, this was far too burdensome due to the latency of RDP -- I could never get into 'the groove')

Ditto to what Jack says. Almost no compatibility issues between Windows Server and LabVIEW anymore it seems, except for one: A few times on 32-bit 2008R2 we've had to disable PAE on the server to get the LabVIEW application to execute without errors. TestStand can be more tricky, if you ever want to use that on Windows Server.

But development is not possible over a remote connection. I think that's universal unless you're a very peculiar developer ;-)

/Steen