labSSH Experiences

I am trying to connect to a linux mobile device using ssh connection.

The problem is that this is part of a time sensitive test. using plink has too much overhead. I also have to make a new connection everytime I want to use it.

The tunnel method does not work as suggested by many. I don't believe a ssh tunnel will encrypt and decrypt data for you.

labSSH provides vi's for sftp, scp and ssh terminal which are things I tools I would like to have but I would like to know what experiences people have had with it.

OR better still if there is a solution that is open source.

Matthew L.

I am trying to connect to a linux mobile device using ssh connection.

The problem is that this is part of a time sensitive test. using plink has too much overhead. I also have to make a new connection everytime I want to use it.

The tunnel method does not work as suggested by many. I don't believe a ssh tunnel will encrypt and decrypt data for you.

labSSH provides vi's for sftp, scp and ssh terminal which are things I tools I would like to have but I would like to know what experiences people have had with it.

OR better still if there is a solution that is open source.

Matthew L.

if you are using plink to create an ssh tunnel, I assure you that it is being encrypted.  in fact the whole idea of ssh tunneling is to perform the encryption/decryption.  I would seriously doubt you'd be able to outperform putty's implementation using a labview based ssh implementation (there are ALOT of hours of development and test in that application.)  If you want to try a different ssh client, openssh on cygwin is a really solid ssh program as well.  (BTW I'm pretty sure that plink is open source, its just putty for the command line.)

Lastly, if you want to test for encryption, use a program like wireshark and you'll see that all the data is in fact tunneled over the encrypted ssh connection.

I've done what you're doing with an iphone.  I used an itunnel program to open up a socket on my PC that went over USB instead of the wireless which will greatly reduce latency.  I'm certain there is a simmilar application you could find for linux/andriod.

~Jon

also you'll definitely want to use a tunneled connection as you alluded to before.  The authentication exchange does take a finite amount of time, but with a decent network connection and pre-generated keys it should be in the mili second time range.