Private Messages in Actor Framework

Has anyone come up with a way of creating private messages that can only be sent (with Send my_method.vi) from within VIs of an Actor descendant? The main application would be for creating messages that could only be sent from parallel loops inside an actor's Actor Core.vi to the parent method so that the main actor loop can process the message. For instance, if you only want parallel processes inside the override of Actor Core.vi to be sending their error info back to the loop in the parent method, using a private-scoped message could keep any other VI exterior to the class from accidentally sending error info to the actor.

A) Private messages that the actor sends only to itself can be done by putting the message class in the same library as the actor and making the message class itself be private scope.

B) Protected messages that the actor or its children can send can be done by making the private message as per (A) and then adding a protected method to the actor class that sends the message.

C) This is a good question to archive as part of the Actor Framework overall. Would you mind reposting it at http://ni.com/actorframework so I can answer it again there? I don't think it has been asked before.

• 4 weeks later...