VERY Intermittent VISA error "Property Node (arg 1)" on Bytes at Port

ErikTheRed

I'm running a queue controlled multi-loop many master/many slave data parser (among other features), and gosh darn it if it isn't mostly working!  However, one issue that I'm running into is an extremely un-reproducible error in the serial data read/write loop out to a USB Telegesis module.  I can't seem to replicate it, and when it happens, it may happen a few times in a row, but usually upon a software reset, disappears again.  This software will be running for a significant period of time without user intervention, so I can't afford to have this happen when someone's not around to fix it.  Any ideas?

The Error:

-1073807360,Property Node (arg 1) in ...(my top level vi).vi

The Code:

post-21933-0-40733600-1367349204_thumb.j

Thanks for the help!

Hi Erik,

try to troubleshoot which property node the error is coming from in your code.  It is usually a property node with multiple inputs, and the first input (argument 1) is invalid.

I suspect it might be the VISA serial configure; if I remember right, it has a property node with multiple inputs. 

Maybe the VISA resource string is empty? corrupted? incorrect? invalid?

Check all the inputs going into the VI; one of them is not what is expected.

In future, attach the VI and the complete error message to help others save time when helping you.

Neville.

• 3 years later...

Hi ErikTheRed,

I am having this EXACT same problem!

My code runs fine for a very long time.  Then intermittently produces that "unknown system error" when I check the number of Bytes at Port. 

My code looks really similar to yours.  I establish a serial connection, and then sit in a loop checking for bytes at the port.  When bytes are detected, they are read.  

Did you ever find a solution?

21 hours ago, josborne01 said:

Hi ErikTheRed,

I am having this EXACT same problem!

My code runs fine for a very long time.  Then intermittently produces that "unknown system error" when I check the number of Bytes at Port. 

My code looks really similar to yours.  I establish a serial connection, and then sit in a loop checking for bytes at the port.  When bytes are detected, they are read.  

Did you ever find a solution?

Do you use an USB-Serial converter? They have become less and less reliable the past few years in my experience (might depend on the chip though). Try a PCI card or the on-board port.