Password Protect VIs using VI server

No I've never done it but you should be able to iterate through your VIs using the LockState.Set Invoke Node. There is also a setting for applying a password to source in Source Distribution build spec.

Okay just created and example which will set a password on all VIs in a directory recursively - BE CAREFUL what you point it at :)

Batch Password Example.vi

Edited by Dan DeFriese
:D

Just out of curiousity... What's the use case for applying password protection on the VIs? I've never really thought about this before.

~Dan

Or to prevent accidental changes to VIs in the vi.lib.  Of course changing the file to be read-only maybe an easier alternative for this.

... changing the file to be read-only maybe an easier alternative for this...

If you have the "treat read-only VIs as locked". Otherwise, dirty dots can happen.

Distributing code that is "locked - no password" works no matter what LV settings someone else has.

If you have the "treat read-only VIs as locked". Otherwise, dirty dots can happen.

So if the file is read-only it can still be edited, (so a dirty dot) but you can't save it so any changes will not be kept, which in my mind is the real reason to set the file to read only.  Sure I could edit a VI that is read-only, keep it in memory and then the changes will be implemented, but as soon as I close LabVIEW (and changes are discarded) the VI will revert back to the original file.