Dominant color descriptor

Hi,

How to extract and calculate dominant color in an image,using this dominant color of an image,how to create color mask image.I have attached an example image of an screw.If anyone can provide me with an algorithm for color mask image,it would be helpful.

Thank you

MADHUBALAN

post-36931-0-19353000-1370249779_thumb.p

Hi shaun R,

can you please breif me,How you calculated grey is a dominant color,is there any formula or method to calculate it.

Thanks 

MADHUBALAN

It was a joke. It is a grey-scale image, therefore it can only be grey :P

Edited by ShaunR

Hi shaun R,

No,it is a color image.

Regards

MADHUBALAN

OK. Maybe you have taken a colour image, but you have taken a colour  picture of a grey object against a grey background. The dominant colour will still be "GREY".

A quick and dirty (although not foolproof) method is to just look at the mean of each colour component.

A better but much more complicated method is to use K-means clustering.

I don't know of any LabVIEW examples off-hand, but here is one you can translate from Python.

OK. Maybe you have taken a colour image, but you have taken a colour  picture of a grey object against a grey background. The dominant colour will still be "GREY".

A quick and dirty (although not foolproof) method is to just look at the mean of each colour component.

attachicon.gifpng histogram color.jpg

attachicon.gifpng histogram color BD.jpg

I don't know of any LabVIEW examples off-hand, but here is one you can translate from Python.

Hi shaunR,

I will try this,can please send the vi file of png histogram color.

Thank you

Madhubalan

It comes with the IMAQ toolkit I believe.

Hi,

Color mask  and dominant color descriptor both options are not available in both labview and vision assistant..

It comes with the IMAQ toolkit I believe.

Hi,

if you could find both,can you please send me.

Thanks

MADHUBALAN

attachicon.gifpng histogram color.jpg

attachicon.gifpng histogram color BD.jpg

Hi,

In the image you posted, finding the dominant color from RGB,but if to find first 10 or 20 or..dominant color in an image,how to find it?.

Give some more Information, what are the characteristics of your input picture, what result do you have to deliver.

The additional toolkit will cost you money, somehow I don't think this is an option for you.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.For dominant color in an image and color mask image,my project is to find the object(screw) from the other objects,i am using the technique from a paper "Fast Object Detection Based on Color Histograms and Local Binary Patterns"http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6412323.In this paper they have to find the printer from other object,i have to find the screw instead of printer.In this paper,they are using few techniques,in which initial step is calculate color mask image show in fig 5.

Thank you

Madhubalan