Good method for detecting walls in a map

Good morning,

I'm spending a lot of time trying to convert a simple map into a set of segments in order to perform a Scan Matching with diferent robot poses for localization. I see there's a huge number of tools in Labview regarding Computer Vision and Pattern Matching but, until now, I can't find anything that satisfies my needs.

I tryed Edge Detection.vi but it returns not only the segment of wall but a complete line from side to side of the ROI as you can try in the example I attached. In addition, Edge detection doesn't work well with diagonal walls. 

I could use Contour Detection.vi but it turns out that is computationally expensive according to perfermance profile plus it detects contours as points but I need lines because my map is composed of simple straight lines.

Finally I tried IMAQ Rake 3 but I don't know very well how it works and there's no examples of use in the examples folder.

Labview is an amazing programa with a lot of already made complex nodes, There must be a way to simulate what a robot equipped with a Laser Range Finder or LIDAR would see if running in a very simple 2D room.

Thanks in advance.

Find_Edge_Detection.vi

post-35621-0-61333100-1371455769.png

I though that was only for detecting circular shapes. I'll give it a try, lets see.

Do you now any node to compute Scan/Line Matching given a map and a set of points defining a contour? Like in the figure I attached. 

I initially thought coding the algorithms manually, but since there's plenty of Machine Vision nodes in LabView 2011 I would like to use as much high level nodes as I can. I even saw some LIDAR nodes but they seem to be only for communication purposes, not for simulation.

Thanks for answering.

post-35621-0-30802100-1371467848.png