Problem with building an exe with shared variables and dynamically-called vis

I have a project with a top vi that (along with a bunch of other stuff) calls a couple other vis dynamically.  This top vi also uses shared variables to communicate with a separate executable, but there are no shared variables in the dynamically called vis.

I have an application build specification set up for this project.  When I build the executable, after the build is done, the source version of the dynamically called vis mysteriously start running.  The front panels don't appear, but errors messages in there come up (since they're not being "called" correctly).

The executable built from this works correctly.

I just figured out today that I don't even need to build the executable.  If I just open up the specification, click on the Shared Variable Deployment category, and cancel the Build Specification window, the source for the dynamically called vis starts.

FWIW, I call these same vis dynamically in other projects, and this behaviour does not occur.  The project I'm having a problem with is the only one where I use shared variables.

I haven't had any luck finding a similar issue online.  Since this is my first time using shared variables, I don't know if there's something I'm supposed to be setting/doing that I'm not, or if I've stumbled on a bug. Any thoughts??