Running RT project with dynamic IP

RnDMonkey

I'm working with a contractor on a cRIO-based test system, and we are arranging a shared version control scheme so I can work on the code as well. One issue is that there are 2 different cRIO systems operating in completely different network environments, and there are currently 3 different locations where we have to change the IP address between environments:

1. RT controller properties in project

2. A front-panel control on a UI vi that connects to the RT controller

3. A constant in an RT Main vi to set the target for the FPGA BitFile

I'd prefer to make this more portable and more easily maintainable in this shared satting under VCS, ideally just popping up a panel that offers controllers to connect to so the operator just clicks on a system to connect to. Desired features would be:

1. Dynamically identifies connected cRIO controllers

2. Offers choice of controller to connect with

3. Remembers last choice with ini file and automatically connects if there is only 1 possible target

Thank you for any help.

Ryan Rutledge

I'd prefer to make this more portable and more easily maintainable in this shared satting under VCS, ideally just popping up a panel that offers controllers to connect to so the operator just clicks on a system to connect to. Desired features would be:

1. Dynamically identifies connected cRIO controllers

2. Offers choice of controller to connect with

3. Remembers last choice with ini file and automatically connects if there is only 1 possible target

You can use the RT Target information to get a list of all connected RT systems, and from this list filter the system to connect to , e.g. by name, type etc.

post-5958-0-99770500-1379573582.png

As long as both cRIOs use the same name, no dialog should be necessary, regardless of network environment.

/J

Thanks, J. I'm on 2012, so that VI wasn't on my palette, but it got me looking in the right place so I found the equivalent. I got it working basically as I need to using a VI to place the IP address in a shared variable and work from there. I still will have to figure out how to set up a launcher VI that can run this vi that executes on the PC and also the RT Main that must run on the cRIO. Since they are in different application instances (if that's the right terminology) I can't just have them both be subVIs of the launcher.

Ryan R.

Check out the System Configuration pallet to locate remote systems. From there building a simple interface shouldn't be hard.

That doesn't solve your problem with the IP address in the project though.

Thanks, Ryan. I'm not overly worried about the project just yet, though I will eventually have to deal with that somehow.

• 1 month later...