Getting back into Labview

TheBoss

Hi, 2 years ago i decided to learn new/diversify my skills e.g. Learn PLC's, ladder logic, structured text etc. I did this to hopefully make me a better software engineer and fill in some gaps in Knowledge base of control software. But i have decided to get back into Labview (i did concider giving up on Labview and just focus on PLC's but felt this would be a mistake to loose this skill).

As i've decided now to get back into Labview i need new a project that could show off my skills to potential employers. Anyone got any ideas of a project that could show off well rounded labview skills. The other reason why i want to do a project is that i need the practice ;)

TB

Why don't you make a dynamic-dispatch thermal chamber controller system?  Make it so I you can drop it in existing programs, tell it what kind of controller it needs to talk to (or, better yet, have it figure that out by itself) and make it just work.  That way, I you can move my your ATE to whatever thermal chamber is available without having to hard-code the commands for each controller type.  Make it a plug-in architecture so we you don't have to upgrade the core software whenever we you extend the controller software.  I'm thinking that Watlow F4, Cincinnati Sub-Zero and Thermotron (4800, 8800) would be a good place to start.

Post it here when you're done so we can see your work.  ;)

• Like 2

If you are interested in undertaking something larger than just PC based, I believe the new MyRIO, built around the new Zynq chip, will be available within the next month.  That would give you more options to use LabVIEW to interact with the real world and develop a broader set of useful skills around LabVIEW.  Not sure about the price point of the device though. 

Why don't you make a dynamic-dispatch thermal chamber controller system?  Make it so I you can drop it in existing programs, tell it what kind of controller it needs to talk to (or, better yet, have it figure that out by itself) and make it just work.  That way, I you can move my your ATE to whatever thermal chamber is available without having to hard-code the commands for each controller type.  Make it a plug-in architecture so we you don't have to upgrade the core software whenever we you extend the controller software.  I'm thinking that Watlow F4, Cincinnati Sub-Zero and Thermotron (4800, 8800) would be a good place to start.

Post it here when you're done so we can see your work.  ;)

Right away sir, i'll get right on it ;):lol:

If you are interested in undertaking something larger than just PC based, I believe the new MyRIO, built around the new Zynq chip, will be available within the next month.  That would give you more options to use LabVIEW to interact with the real world and develop a broader set of useful skills around LabVIEW.  Not sure about the price point of the device though. 

Sounds good, i've used the compact rio about 2 years ago. So could be worth a look :yes:

Have you looked into CLD or CLA sample exams? We use CLD sample exams as training exercises for new employees. 

https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/ekitcldexmprp/content.xhtml

https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/infoclaexmprp/content.xhtml

I've had a look at the CLA exams but not the CLD. Forgot about them, thanks :)