Next LuaVIEW Release

viSci

• 2 years later...

Hi, Has there been a new release of LuaVIEW?

Just a short heads up. There is going to be a new release of Lua for LabVIEW 2.0 in the next few days. The initial release will be for LabVIEW for Windows 32 Bit and 64 Bit only. Linux, MacOS X and NI realtime target support will follow begin of next year. Currently I'm testing the software and cleaning up the documentation for it.

Keep an eye on http://www.luaforlabview.com for more news about this.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I find myself maintaining and supporting a legacy software of mine, conceived 12 years ago and still alive and kicking for many users, which at some point along the way picked up a LuaVIEW functionality and dependence, let me see if I got it right:

• LuaVIEW 1.2.2 supports the three platforms linux, mac, windows, but only at 32 bit
  • LuaVIEW 1.2.2 was (isn't anymore, but I have my saved copy) only available for download at esi-cit. It is not available trough VIPM.
  • LuaVIEW 2.0.x is available through VIPM, but it's only windows at the moment (just checked, VIPM for linux doesn't even list it).
  • LuaVIEW 2.0.x is the only LuaVIEW working on 64bit (windows)

I still have to check thoroughly that my software, for the very little lua it uses, is compatible with 2.0. Anyway, what is the minimal version of LV LuaVIEW 2.0 will run on? Note that I'm not asking any special backport, just thinking at how to move on as for requirements of my software.

Edited by ensegre
  • 2 weeks later...

As I find myself maintaining and supporting a legacy software of mine, conceived 12 years ago and still alive and kicking for many users, which at some point along the way picked up a LuaVIEW functionality and dependence, let me see if I got it right:

• LuaVIEW 1.2.2 supports the three platforms linux, mac, windows, but only at 32 bit
  • LuaVIEW 1.2.2 was (isn't anymore, but I have my saved copy) only available for download at esi-cit. It is not available trough VIPM.
  • LuaVIEW 2.0.x is available through VIPM, but it's only windows at the moment (just checked, VIPM for linux doesn't even list it).
  • LuaVIEW 2.0.x is the only LuaVIEW working on 64bit (windows)
I still have to check thoroughly that my software, for the very little lua it uses, is compatible with 2.0. Anyway, what is the minimal version of LV LuaVIEW 2.0 will run on? Note that I'm not asking any special backport, just thinking at how to move on as for requirements of my software.

Sorry, for answering so late. I was with vacation for the last two weeks.

You got a few details not exactly right.

1) LuaVIEW 1.x onl;y supports LabVIEW for Windows 32 bit, LabVIEW for Mac PPC (can be considered obsolete by now as the last OSX version that supported that was around 10.5 Leopard), and LabVIEW for Linux 32 bit.

2) Yes Lua for LabVIEW is copyrighted and we have not given anyone else the right to distribute it on their own.

3) Not sure how VIPM could automatically show it, but you probably mean that you downloaded the 2.0 VIPM package from http://ww.luaforlabview.com and tried to install it through VIPM. The current package tells VIPM specifically to only support the Windows platform since it lacks the shared libraries for the other platforms entirely and wouldn't be able to run there.

4) Lua for LabVIEW 2.0 does currently support LabVIEW 32 bit and LabVIEW 64 bit for Windows. Support for LabVIEW for Mac for OSX 10.8 and higher for 32 bit and 64 bit is under testing and should be released soon. Same for support for LabVIEW for Linux 32 bit and 64 bit. Also support for the NI realtime targets will be added in that release too.

Lua for LabVIEW 2.0 supports LabVIEW versions from 7.1 onwards but this is likely to be changed to a higher version in the next major release; most likely 8.5 or possibly even 2009.

Since Lua for LabVIEW 2.0 makes use of Lua 5.1 as engine, there were a few minor changes in the Lua syntax itself that could make modifications to Lua scripts necessary. However in the whole unit test suite that comes with Lua for LabVIEW there were only two incidents like that and they were related to the changed long string syntax. Lua for LabVIEW is compiled with the option to still allow the old long string format without equal signs between the brackets for single level long strings but when embedding long strings inside long strings, Lua 5.1 does explicitly disallow using the old syntax.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me directly here or under info@luaforlabview.com