Project (lvproj) claims attribute changed but saving doesn't make it go away.

I've noticed this happens when I have a copyright symbol (©) in the build spec.

Try diffing your freshly-opened-then-saved LVProj with the previous LVProj using a text diff tool -- the one character that changes for me is the © to the "exact same" ©

(I've not tried comparing binaries, but perhaps this could reveal an encoding issue)

I hate to say it, but I've given up on this behavior-- the invisible changes that LabVIEW makes automatically yet refuses to identify. I have many projects that show the same "An attribute of the project was changed" simply by opening them. Even on the same system: I can save, close, and re-open and voila, that oh-so-important-and-so-very-obvious-that-I-won't-even-bother-to-tell-you-what-it-is attribute is changed once again.

The same project in the thread Paul referenced has since developed a related behavior which is equally helpful. It is perfectly stable on any given machine (aside from the attribute modified problem). But move it to another and suddenly "Type Definition modified" comes up which throws hundreds of VIs off and source code control into a tizzy. Two physical machines and two virtual machines, and there's no pair of which the code can be moved between (yes, I've actually tried each permutation).

Seriously, I've lost all patience. I'm done. LabVIEW has won. When I need to work on that project outside of my office, I fire up my home virtual machine, in which I fire up a VPN, through which I work via remote desktop to my office desktop, then code as much as I can before I get too frustrated by doing graphical coding over a relatively high latency channel. I can't be bothered to use my notebook, or my home VM directly because it's too difficult to decouple the changes I make to those LabVIEW makes automatically because of that darned type definition.

@mje

Virtual machine - VPN - Remote desktop.

That's exactly what I've been doing for a while due to this extremely annoying behavior.  It's all good if Darren can show how fast he  can program with quickdrop and all but out here in the real world (home office days or remote debugging) all that is worth very little.  The lag over this connection (not to mention the less than 100% fidelity of mouse integration over Remote desktop) makes programming really chore.

Several projects, here, show dirty dots when opened. After saving, though, tortoise says the file has not changed.

With that piece of information I'm guessing it is a real bug.  LabVIEW is likely writing the same exact string to the file so that bit for bit it doesn't change at all.  So why does it think it has changed?

i too have felt the pain of remote graphical development.  I just can't bring my self to do it.  I then deal with the changes between machines, but luckily the changes have been mostly slight changes because development machines are loaded with similar software.