Simulating MDI interface in Labview?

klove

Is it possible to create (or simulate) an MDI in LabView? I would like to have a parent VI that handles common chores and some number of identical child forms for simultaneously testing multiple DUT's.

I have done this previously in VB and it was a very effective interface solution. I would like to duplicate it in labview.

Any ideas on setting up this front panel architecture would be appreciated.

Kirk

Is it possible to create (or simulate) an MDI in LabView?  I would like to have a parent VI that handles common chores and some number of identical child forms for simultaneously testing multiple DUT's.

I have done this previously in VB and it was a very effective interface solution.  I would like to duplicate it in labview.

Any ideas on setting up this front panel architecture would be appreciated.

Kirk

3531[/snapback]

maybe its possible, if you use subpanels, but it will never be se same like in VB, and it will be verry diffucult, because you have no framework like in Visual Studio, but have to develop it all on your own ....

best regards,

cb

Although Child Windows are nice for some applications, and you can use the technique Michael Aivaliotis posted, might I suggest that you make your general interface like a Toolbar/Sidebar and then use VIServer and instantiations of GUI templates for your individual documents? This gives you a more flexible interface at the cost of a little more UI management code. :D

It also has the advantage of being 100% G code and is therefore platform independent :yes:

• 3 years later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jan 17 2005, 06:51 PM)

Yes, Child windows are possible using Windows API calls.

So I know how to set a window as a child, but then how do I release the child/parent relationship so it becomes it's own window again?

QUOTE (crelf @ May 2 2008, 11:12 PM)

So I know how to set a window as a child, but then how do I release the child/parent relationship so it becomes it's own window again?

I think you need to set the desktop window as the parent. I'm not sure, but I think this can be done by using a null hWnd, but if not, you can just get the handle to the desktop.