The nightmare that is renaming a class and its folder

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to the SCC discussion which seems to be skewing a bit from the original topic.  Viewpoint Systems makes a SVN toolkit which is in VIPM.  It allows to rename a VI and have it be reflected as a LabVIEW rename and SVN rename in one step.  This works mostly well but I had some issues with renaming a VI that was read-only.  This also only works well if all callers of that VI are already loaded into memory.

Also the trick about moving multiple files on disk is one I was not familiar with.

• 1 year later...

Totally non-valuable addition of characters here, I know, but it's mindblowing that an action such as renaming a class can lead to so much headache.

Class-editing is broken in so many major ways in LabVIEW. I know of people not using OO in LabVIEW for this exact reason - one of them is an employee of mine, and I'm actually forcing him to give up his resistance and just suck it up. But that's no fun I tell you  :frusty:

/Steen

• Like 1

Class-editing is broken in so many major ways in LabVIEW. I know of people not using OO in LabVIEW for this exact reason - one of them is an employee of mine, and I'm actually forcing him to give up his resistance and just suck it up. But that's no fun I tell you  :frusty:

Could you go more into details? What are the reasons?

Abandoning classes just because they don't integrate with the SCC sounds like bad reasoning. Rather consider abandoning the SCC and go with ZIP backups instead.

Just my opinion, I find SCC much more critical to software development, than OO.

I totally agree. I was actually trying to understand the logic behind the decision, but I guess my text is quite misleading (even for me as I read it again now :wacko:).

Maybe I don't understand the initial post correctly, but if I have a problem with the SCC, than I would try to fix it. If I cannot fix the problem, I would rather finish the product and live with a complete SCC history that has certain complications (like renames that are tracked as delete/add commits for example), than overthinking my entire software architecture.

Or maybe the initial post is absolutely not related to the SCC discussion but rather to the topic at hand that is "The nightmare that is renaming a class and its folder". In that case the employee might want to rename folders from within the project and fix the SCC in manual labor.