VI Server Unresponsiveness

mje

I'm attempting to set up a build server architecture such that I can execute my builds in parallel in remote application instances of LabVIEW. Initial tests are successful insomuch as the builds complete on the servers but there's an issue of the server becoming unresponsive (error 1130) during the build, preventing my client application from gathering results.

My initial hack is to set the ping delay on the connection to greater than the expected build time. This seems to work-- I haven't seen a timeout yet-- but is hardly elegant. Should something go wrong I now need to wait an hour for things to timeout.

Is there a way to get LabVIEW to prioritize its TCP stack a little more? I really don't like the idea of blindly assuming things are working just fine for an hour at a time, especially if a real network is involved.

I'm not sure if there's anything to be done code-wise: if the build is taking up so many resources that the main server loop isn't servicing ping requests I have a hard time believing anything I do in LabVIEW would be reliable because I imagine the scheduler won't exactly be doing so well either...

I'm attempting to set up a build server architecture such that I can execute my builds in parallel in remote application instances of LabVIEW. Initial tests are successful insomuch as the builds complete on the servers but there's an issue of the server becoming unresponsive (error 1130) during the build, preventing my client application from gathering results.

My initial hack is to set the ping delay on the connection to greater than the expected build time. This seems to work-- I haven't seen a timeout yet-- but is hardly elegant. Should something go wrong I now need to wait an hour for things to timeout.

Is there a way to get LabVIEW to prioritize its TCP stack a little more? I really don't like the idea of blindly assuming things are working just fine for an hour at a time, especially if a real network is involved.

I'm not sure if there's anything to be done code-wise: if the build is taking up so many resources that the main server loop isn't servicing ping requests I have a hard time believing anything I do in LabVIEW would be reliable because I imagine the scheduler won't exactly be doing so well either...

You could create a VI to service requests and set the VI priority that services your TCPIP to "real-time" to see if that helps. I'm skeptical that it does much re: the OS, but it  may be effective within the labview environment.

Perhaps. All in, I'm still skeptical any LabVIEW code will run with any predictable schedule if the process is working so hard, regardless of priority or timing construts.

I seem to be having luck with 120 second ping intervals and a corresponding 120 second timeout (the default for a VI server connection appears to be 10/10). However given that the builds for this project take considerable time, it will be weeks if not months before I feel confident of the reliability of such a timeout.

• 2 weeks later...