Save for previous version of LV 2010 causes the data member access property nodes to be broken and LV to become unresponsive

Hello,

I am trying to save a LV project created in LV 2012 to the previous version of LV 2010, but when I try to open the VIs in LV 2010 the data member access property nodes are broken and LV is unresponsive.  I can manually add a new property node and delete the old property, but LV is still unresponsive.  I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue.

Thanks,

Russell 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you use strict-typedefs for your properties?

Did you try to replace the VIs by their properties after saving for previous version?

Some month ago I ran into various problems related to property nodes. In LV2011 the IDE got very slow and almost unresponsive... No problem without properties... Anyways, I reached a point where the entire IDE would just crash at load time for class private data! So I upgraded that particular project to LV2013 where I realized an odd behavior (that has been there even in LV2011, but did not catch my eye until then):

If you wire a strict typedef from a property-node to a VI with the same typedef, a coercion dot will occur once you change a font in that typedef, or anything that is only available for strict-typedef. In LV2013 you get an explaination for the connected data types in the context help. The source is presented as type of 'error in' or some other non-related type... Once you place the VI instead of the property node, everything is fine. According to NI that has something to do with the way LabVIEW updates the typedef. I did not get much details, but basically the property node remains with an 'old' or rather 'partial-new' version of the typedef, since a property has no FP, while the VI is updated with the entire 'new' typedef, thus leaving the IDE with "two" typedef revisions at the same time...

See the picture and notice that there is a coercion dot and the Main-VI is not broken, even though the context help makes me :( ... :blink: ... :wacko: ...  :frusty: ! (this is LV2013)

Also notice, that the same implementation without property-node has no coercion dot! Not to mention that the terminal data type according to the context help is of type 'error in', but correctly named 'Strict1' and the connected wire data type represents the correct type <there is no emote to display how I feel about this, maybe if LavaG had something... exploding... no?>

post-17453-0-45665200-1391814256_thumb.p

This is (according to NI and my experience so far) just a IDE issue and has no known effect to the build exe (code is not even broken). NI is informed of course, but there will not be an update to this until LV2014 or later. Anyways, I wonder if what you experience might be related (LV2010 could have even more issues with this than LV2011). From what you've written, it kind of fits.

Edited by LogMAN