DAQmx Base for OS X

elyness

Am I the only LabVIEW for OS X user out there?

I just got my USB 9161 and 9211 thermocouple device working with the newly released version of DAQmx Base for OS X. I am able to read temperatures from LabVIEW but the DAQmx Physical Channel control does not automatically populate with the ID of my USB device. (Note that the phyiscal channel control does contain the PCI devices.) If I type in the name, Dev1/ai0 for instance, it works.

But so far, I can't find any way to query for attached devices without just trying to read them and checking for an error. This isn't particularly good because my software is running on several machines that all have slightly different hardware configurations. If I don't get an error reading an analog input on dev1, I only know that the device contains an analog input but I still don't know the device type. Is it a thermocouple device or a generic analog input device?

Anyone else run into this?

• 4 weeks later...

I can't answer your DAQ question, but rest assure there are others making the move to OS X. I am coming from a windows environment, and have been comparing what windows has vs. what mac has. One thing I found out the hard way is that the 3D graph controls are actually active-x, so no mac support. BIG BUMMER!!! They should have controls like that native; not active-X.

I'm glad to hear there are more OS X LabVIEW developers. Most of my projects are in Windows but I have one customer that uses OS X and I'm personally a big fan of it. We could really use the 3-D picture control but the biggest obstable for us that there's no image acquisition or processing supported. I could do without the acquisition part, if they could just give us the analysis vi's that would be huge.

DAQmx Base, even in its infantcy has made a big difference for us. It's got a long way to go but it's a good start. We tried three different methods for reading thermocouples over serial connections and all of them were more flakey than daqmx base.

• 2 months later...
Am I the only LabVIEW for OS X user out there?

I just got my USB 9161 and 9211 thermocouple device working with the newly released version of DAQmx Base for OS X.  I am able to read temperatures from LabVIEW but the DAQmx Physical Channel control does not automatically populate with the ID of my USB device.  (Note that the phyiscal channel control does contain the PCI devices.) If I type in the name, Dev1/ai0 for instance, it works. 

But so far, I can't find any way to query for attached devices without just trying to read them and checking for an error.  This isn't particularly good because my software is running on several machines that all have slightly different hardware configurations.  If I don't get an error reading an analog input on dev1, I only know that the device contains an analog input but I still don't know the device type. Is it a thermocouple device or a generic analog input device?

Anyone else run into this?

3673[/snapback]

I also have recently started using a USB-9211 on OSX. After much seraching of ni.com I cam across this http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/770...6256F79007E4B5A which mentions that you can only browse tasks created with MAX (which of course is of no use) so for the time being we are limited to typing in task names

I have run into some additional problems too. If I create a task with say 3 input channels, then close and clear the task, then create a new task more than 3 input channels, LabVIEW hangs. It's not a labview crash because it is still running. It seems to be in an infinite loop somewhere deep in the DAQmx Base hierarchy.

Also, there is a VI in the DAQmx Base hierarchy that has the exact same name as a VI used when you save a .jpg file. In order to have both DAQmx Base and the Write JPEG File.vi in the same program, you must rename a vi in DAQmx Base :blink: .

I also have recently started using a USB-9211 on OSX. After much seraching of ni.com I cam across this http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/770...6256F79007E4B5A which mentions that you can only browse tasks created with MAX (which of course is of no use) so for the time being we are limited to typing in task names

4715[/snapback]

• 6 years later...

i am student in electronics I have a USB DAQ-6008 and runs on Mac OS 10.6.7 in LabView 2010 pro SP1 I'm trying to do a homework for my class, I can't find the option where MAX (New NI-DAQmx Task MAX) comes out i had to do it in windows but would like to do it in mac hope you could help thanks.