Mercurial Central Repository Server Structure

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up a server to serve all of our yet-to-be-created Mercurial repositories from.  Given in Hg that each project will have its own repository it seems to me that a flat folder structure is the way to go ie:

CodeBigApplication1

CodeBigApplicationN

CodeSmallApplication1

CodeUsefulLibrary1

CodeUsefulLibaryN

Although with all the applications and libraries that get created this will mean there are lots/hundreds of repositories with no sub-folder structure, I can't see the benefit of organising the repositories into sub-folders.  In fact I can only see a benefit of not having them, ie simpler relative paths when an application uses a library, no funny grey areas on whether a library should fit into sub folder a or b etc.

Any thoughts on this please? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi,

I think your on the right lines. In reality you are always going to use a URL to access it anyway. I think this maybe required to make it easy to have hgweb automatically serve the different repositories as you create then anyway as you can use a wildcard to describe where all of the repositories are.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the issues you might run into is that you develop your libraries in production.I Would try to develop the libraries in separate projects that have a build result (vip or llb) that can be used in other projects. Active relative paths into the libraries source is a nono IMHO.

Ton

One of the issues you might run into is that you develop your libraries in production.I Would try to develop the libraries in separate projects that have a build result (vip or llb) that can be used in other projects. Active relative paths into the libraries source is a nono IMHO.

Ton