Accessing serial ports with LabVIEW for Linux?

Bryan

I'm trying to access the COM ports on a computer running Fedora Core 2 Kernel version 2.6.5-1.358 and LabVIEW for Linux 7.1.

The VISA controls don't show any COM ports available and there are 2 of them on the computer itself.

Being new to Linux, I don't know anything about accessing COM ports through Linux, most of the information I've been finding online is C-oriented and hasn't been helpful in communicating with them from LabVIEW. I'd like to somehow make sure that the OS even sees the COM ports, if it doesn't, I have to find out why and how to talk to them through LabVIEW.

Any help is appreciated!

I'm kind of in a hurry to get this problem resolved, so if anybody has any leads, I'd really like to know. I've already changed permissions on the ports, and tried to run "visaconf", but it just returns an error "0xBFFF0000"

Anybody? Bueller...? Bueller...?

Well, since I'm the one answering my own Linux-specific posts, I guess you could say that I'm the resident Linux LabVIEW expert? Haha!

Anyway, I found out that it was an issue with 2 environment variables not being set.

VXIPNPPATH=/usr/[path to directory containing vxipnp]/vxipnpLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$VXIPNPPATH/binexport VXIPNPPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It varies I guess with what flavor of linux you're running, but with what I'm using, listed in the first post, I had to enter these variables in the /etc/profile file.

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

I got it working and found out that the problem was that I installed VISA in the non-default directory, which forced me to have to update and change the environment variables. I also had to change the permissions of the ports using "chmod" so that all users can access them.