VI Shots Live: Episode Airing this Week

Greetings, Wireworkers!

The previous VI Shots Live shows have been a huge success -- thank you for your continued support and viewership!

Join us once more Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 12noon CST (18:00 GMT) for this month's topic - The LabVIEW Nomad: Developing and Debugging LabVIEW Remotely.

Whether a true digital nomad, or a team member of a large organization, there's value to knowing how to develop and debug on remote customer machines. Decoupling your person from your deployment target is not always easy, and this month we've got a panel of experienced developers ready to share their experiences and answer audience questions on how to save resources and make the most of getting work done remotely.

Michael and I are excited to host Fabiola De la Cueva (Principal at Delacor) and Justin Goeres (Senior Engineer and Marketing Manager at JKI) on this topic.

As always, you can join from vishots.com/live -- hop on that link a few minutes early, ready with questions to ask the panel!

Pro-tip -- the Event Page (new event page linked each month, accessible from from vishots.com/live) will add an event to your calendar if you click the "Yes, I'm coming" button (shown below)

post-17237-0-47799500-1395798333.png

(Finally, as a brief logistics note, I'll update this thread monthly rather than creating a new thread in the Lounge)

• Like 1

People are still using Skype? Obviously industrial espionage not a consideration.

I use Jitsi for video conferencing. The UI looks pretty skanky (Java after all) but it works great (screen remote control included).
The next release claims it will support up to 100 remote video conferencing streams-we'll see.

You can get remote power switches for hard-booting. I've used the telephone operated one (RPS II) with great success and they can be removed after development and reused on other projects.

Oh yes. And Bluetooth stereo headsets that can connect to multiple sources (like your customer via PC and phone)

Edited by ShaunR

We are using teamViewer (we bought a licence so we have a custom exe we provide to our customer) 

Only problem is, many (most) customers don't allow remote connection so we have to go to customer site or help them with screenshots + phone  :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Join us this week, Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 12noon CST (18:00 GMT) for Episode 005: Acting Up: Panel Discussion on Actors in LabVIEW.

Michael and I are excited to host Dr. James Powell, Allen Smith, and Dave Snyder. Or, as you might more familiarly know them on the LabVIEW-Actor scene, drjdpowell, niACS, and Daklu.

This show, we'll touch on current strategies and frameworks used for actor-oriented design in LabVIEW, share resources and experiences on the topic, and answer live audience questions.

Join us this Wednesday at vishots.com/live, and come prepared with questions about developing actors in LabVIEW!

(Pssst... mark your calendars for a special time next month, Wednesday, 21 May 2014, 4:00pm CST (22:00GMT), where we'll hear a story from a product manager down under and a beloved community advocate within NI)

• 4 weeks later...

Join us this upcoming week -- at a special time, Wednesday, 21 May 2014, 4:00PM CDT (21:00GMT, and 07:00 on Thursday in Sydney) -- for Episode 006: NI GOOP Development Suite Overview. (Many thanks to those involved and to viewers for accommodating this special international time)

Michael and I are excited to host Mikael Holmström and Stephen Loftus-Mercer on the topic of GDS. We'll hear the story behind the product acquisition, and share some tips and tricks on using NI-GDS for object-oriented system design in LabVIEW.

As a viewer, come prepared with questions, and we look forward to having you join next week at vishots.com/live.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Join us this week -- Wednesday, 24 June 2014, 12:00noon CDT (17:00GMT) for Episode 006: XNodes (Part 1).

Michael and I are excited to host Gavin Burnell and Jonathan Kokott who have both used XNodes to redefine what �reusable code� means in LabVIEW. Even though the creation of XNodes is not officially supported, they power some important shipping abilities such as Timed Loops and the Error Ring Node, and we'll dive into benefits and caveats of using and creating XNodes.

This will be our first show with technical screensharing demos!

As a viewer, come prepared with questions, and we look forward to having you join this month at vishots.com/live.

Join us this week -- Wednesday, 24 June 2014, 12:00noon CDT (17:00GMT) for Episode 006: XNodes (Part 1).

Michael and I are excited to host Gavin Burnell and Jonathan Kokott who have both used XNodes to redefine what “reusable code” means in LabVIEW. Even though the creation of XNodes is not officially supported, they power some important shipping abilities such as Timed Loops and the Error Ring Node, and we'll dive into benefits and caveats of using and creating XNodes.

This will be our first show with technical screensharing demos!

As a viewer, come prepared with questions, and we look forward to having you join this month at vishots.com/live.

Errr, Jack, that's not me  :) ! This is me.... (how sad am I for checking the LinkedIn profile....)

Enjoyed the episode today.  Live demos are a great addition especially with a topic like this.  I wound up watching on my phone which leads me to ask if google hangouts are capable of zooming on the screenshares. On an iphone I could get the idea, but I could see this being nice even on a PC.

Enjoyed the episode today.  Live demos are a great addition especially with a topic like this.  I wound up watching on my phone which leads me to ask if google hangouts are capable of zooming on the screenshares. On an iphone I could get the idea, but I could see this being nice even on a PC.

I had hangouts open in a chrome window not maximized.  When they started doing demos I maximized my screen, which kicked me out of the hangout, and started from the beginning again, so I skipped to live.  Then the demo was done so I unmaximized, also kicking me out and starting it over.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings, wireworkers -- new VI Shots Live Episode airing soon!

Join us this upcoming week -- Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:00noon CDT (17:00GMT) for VI Shots Live: Top Things to Do at NIWeek 2014

Michael and I are joined by special guests and long-time NIWeek-goers Becky Linton and Darren Nattinger. We'll share our personal recommendations for sessions and tips on getting the best experience possible at NIWeek.

Viewers of the live show can ask questions and share your own tips using the chat window. Visit vishots.com/live to join live next Wednesday and also to watch recordings of previous shows.

Errr, Jack, that's not me  :) ! This is me.... (how sad am I for checking the LinkedIn profile....)

Indeed!  :wacko:  Apologies on my transcription error, and thank you for the correction; it's now fixed in the original link. 

• 1 month later...

Greetings, wireworkers! Join us this week -- Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 12:00noon CDT (17:00GMT) for Episode 045: The Next Chapter.

Michael and I will host previous guests Brian Powell, Justin Goeres, and Christopher G. Relf. Continuing our ongoing VI Shots Live theme of careers in LabVIEW, the conversation this episode focuses on transitions and step changes in your own individual business of software.

Tune in Live at vishots.com/live, and come prepared to Ask Us Anything in the live chat!