Teensy ARM Board

hooovahh

So I've played around with Arduinos in the past mostly just the Uno and 328 set of microcontrollers.  But I was looking for something a little faster for doing some stuff that I didn't have a use for yet and stumbled on the Teensy 3.1.

It's a microcontroller that is ARM based running at 96MHZ (Uno is 16MHZ).  It also has a bunch of DIO, AIO (yes real analog output), SPI, I2C, a bunch of serial ports, real integrated USB with DMA not the RS-232 to USB FTDI, and it even has a built in CAN bus.  And for $20 bucks.

One of the things I wanted to see if I could do with this is make a CAN gateway, where it used the one built in CAN bus, and then filter the messages or translated them, and then send it out on another CAN bus talking with SPI.  I also thought it would be cool if I could send all that CAN from both buses over USB to the PC, or even log to a micro SD that's onboard.

I didn't finish my project because of other tasks, but I can confirm that the thing is capable of doing all of these things.  I can elaborate more details if there is interest but really the purpose of this post is to talk about the Teensy itself which is a very powerful microcontroller that has alot of Arduino compatible modules and even uses the Arduino IDE.  It isn't as cheap as a blank microcontroller but the form factor, compatibility, and capability is great for the price.

• 9 months later...

Yeah this is a year old but I just saw the Teensy LC (Low Cost) was just announced for $12.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyLC.html

Similar capabilities as the 3.1.  Runs a little slower, has no CAN bus, pins aren't 5V tolerant, less memory and a few other limitations.  But other than my CAN gateway project, all the other projects I've done with the 3.1 could have been done with the LC for 40% less cost.  It is only a few bucks more than a Trinket but much more capable.