Help with software protection

Hi all

I am hoping somebody out there may be able to help me with this one. I am trying to determine the best way of protecting an application we have built using LabVIEW7.

The application:

The application is an ATE system with the equipment control software written using LabVIEW7 and the tests sequenced using Teststand2. The application was built around TestStands operator interface for LabVIEW using LabVIEWs application builder. The required .seq files and a library of required LabVIEW functions (save using LabVIEWs

• 3 weeks later...

Search the discussion forum here for "Encryption" you'll find some posts on this topic. one of which is mine.

In general: Encryption wrappers don't work with LabVIEW as it's interpeted code.

I've used the Rainbow Sentenial Pro key - they work well. I've done the whole 9-yards with them. Encrypted Algo's, demo counters and application installers that included encryption key functionality.

I'd suggest you include the encryption key calls in your LabVIEW functions. Don't wrap all of test stand (besides you can't!)

It only takes about 20msec to call the key and run queries to it. I've done key calls with every GUI keypress.

That said it took me about a month total to wrap my head around:

1. How the key works

2. The developler interface software for the key (create algo's, burn keys)

3. Developing an encryption scheme

4. Coding the scheme

5. Redeveloping the scheme, recoding again ;-)

5. Mucking about with how to actually install the key drivers w/labview

6. Testing the key so it all works, when and how it should.

7. I had to totally rewrite the LabVIEW Drivers from Sentenial - they okay for rough & tumble on how to talk to the key.

I'm in the phase now to writing a "License Manager'" with the option to enable a "Demo/evaluation" key to a full licensed version.

Encryption protection is a huge industry and you'l find the documentation can be daunting. Also the documation is not clear - it's not suppost to be - as the security companies knows hackers read it too. ;-)

I'd be happy to give pointers, or consult with you on that. It's not a trivial thing to slam in the code last minute.

As I started learning more about the software protection - I've found it's not easy to come up with schemes that protect your software that are also easy to use, manage and are robust. You don't want your software shutting down on a client because the Windows date is off, or theres no internet connection.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

Hi ddrummey,

jack is right. Me too looked for the best way for preserve unlicensed distribution of my software and i choose Sentinel for the wide protection offered. I've now implemented also the querylicense (solved problems that i've posted in http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=80) and I've encrypted query/answer table using ultrapro key to decrypt them...

i think that implement software protection internally in your software is better than use a quick shell because you can choose when and how check your protection.

regards / Mynock