mDNS / Zeroconf

Hi, 

Have anyone used mDNS or ZeroConf in labview ?? 

We have an ethernet device that have a IP address inside a rang 192.168.10.(0-200). 

Up to now we have turned on one, waited the boot time, and they started to ping address 0 and up to 200. This takes a lot of time, and it working in 80 % of the cases. 

Windows will not allow me to send ping more that 1/sec. So searching for one UUT can take up to 200 Sec :( 

We know that the UUT have a mDNS service included. But I have not any experience on how this can be used. 

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction 

Thanx

Clio 

• Like 1
Hi, 

Have anyone used mDNS or ZeroConf in labview ?? 

We have an ethernet device that have a IP address inside a rang 192.168.10.(0-200). 

Up to now we have turned on one, waited the boot time, and they started to ping address 0 and up to 200. This takes a lot of time, and it working in 80 % of the cases. 

Windows will not allow me to send ping more that 1/sec. So searching for one UUT can take up to 200 Sec :(

We know that the UUT have a mDNS service included. But I have not any experience on how this can be used. 

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction 

Thanx

Clio 

I just had a quick look at the wikipedia article for mDNS and if they are right you have quite a problem to tackle. It seems that the IP frame needs to be built specifically to target a certain MAC address. If that is really the case this would only work by opening directly a raw socket on whatever platform API your system has to send such an IP frame. Extra trouble in this is that on all modern OSes, raw sockets are privileged system resources that can only be opened by processes that have the according privileges (admin elevation on Windows, specific raw socket privilege on Unix systems).

Maybe the wikipedia article is wrong in this and you can simply send a multicast UDP package to the according multicast address 224.0.0.251 and port 5353.

I searched a bit and it appears that NI has some mDNS capability built in to find LXI devices using NI-VISA.

http://www.ni.com/newsletter/50597/en/

Maybe there is a way to get a list of all mDNS devices (not just LXI) on the local net using some lower level VISA calls.

I would ask this sort of question on the Instrument Control board of the NI forums.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/bd-p/140