[CR] LabVIEW Task Manager (LVTM)

Greetings! I saw you guys at NIWeek, so I rushed to work and tried grabbing this!

Curious thing, though:

When I opened the above package with VIPM, it said it couldn't find the following package:

On 7/1/2014 at 7:31 PM, TimVargo said:

lava_lib_tree_control_api >= 1.0.1-1

So I looked and looked again, then I went to Google, and it pointed me to

which gives me a .zip file.

Where do I put that to make this work?

A new installer package, which now properly ensures that all dependent 3rd-party libraries get installed, has been uploaded.  Neither the version number nor build number has changed, still at v1.10.0.71.

Many thanks to postalbyke for discovering and reporting this issue, and for testing the fix.

Edited by TimVargo
  • Like 1
  • Mark Balla featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

"LVTM Control App.exe" isn't in Documentation. It wants the 2013 RTE. Is it an application build of the tool that can be used on a target device (that does not have LabVIEW.exe installed) to debug a LabVIEW-built application executable? If so, how can I recompile it with 2015 so I don't need to put the 2013 RTE on the device? The only .lvproj I see where the application build specification might have been is for the regression test.

Hi dwb,

No, the LVTM Control App is not about debugging a LabVIEW-built application executable -- rather it is intended to run on your development machine, alongside of the LVTM tool.  If the LabVIEW code you are developing ever hangs up the UI of your LV development environment, the Control App will allow you to escape from that situation (which otherwise requires killing LabVIEW and loosing any unsaved changes).  The most common cause for getting into that situation is if your code calls a modal VI that was already open (you were editing it and forgot to close it before running it's caller).  Normally you could use the LVTM tool to close the front panel of any open VI; but when this frustrating circumstance occurs, the entire LabVIEW development environment UI becomes unreachable, including the LVTM tool itself -- so the Control App was created to overcome that problem.  Here is the text from the Control App's VI documentation:

This application helps close any open modal VIs that are not closeable otherwise.
Click Refresh to get all modal VIs in memory, in all application instances.
Select the VI that you want to close and click Close FP

Because the LVTM Control App is itself a built executable, you can still run that, and it will call into the LVTM tool and allow you to close any open front panel, effectively releasing the deadlock.  Because the Control App is a LV built executable, the LV Run-Time Engine (RTE) is required.  Install the 2013 RTE onto your development machine, and create yourself a shortcut to "LVTM Control App.exe".  Use your shortcut to recover from a hung LabVIEW UI the next time that happens to you!

19 hours ago, dwb said:

Which document describes how to get started, i.e. how to open the utility?

I just now edited the topic description to clarify this.  I will also add it to the readme file for the next release.

• Invoke the LVTM tool from your dev environment menu: Tools > LAVA > LabVIEW Task Manager
On 7/19/2017 at 7:02 AM, dwb said:

Can it be compiled into an EXE for use on the target device?

No.  The tool relies on much functionality that is not available in a RunTime environment, including many VI Scripting properties.  However, there is a possible solution...

On 7/19/2017 at 7:02 AM, dwb said:

Can LVTM be used with LabVIEW built applications?

Probably, but it would require you to first enable this from within your own built application -- a small and simple piece of code (example provided) to invoke the LVTM on a key combination of your choice.  See this post from the early days of LVTM development.  There, Ravi describes a technique of invoking LVTM from LV built executables, by using a plugin.  The download linked in that post was written for a much older version of LVTM, but you should be able to adapt it to the current version.  All of the plugin architecture is already provided, so I would think you would only need to replace a few older LVTM folders with newer versions of the same, then rebuild it.  If you do this, we would appreciate any feedback on your experience in modifying it; or maybe even post your modified plugin solution here.

Edited by TimVargo

I'm finally getting around to installing this after seeing your NI Week presentation (which was really good BTW).

The dependencies for GPower Error and NI SmartBalloon are

• GPower Error & Warning = 1.2.0.14
  • NI SmartBalloon = 2.0.0.2

There are more current versions of both libraries out and VIPM wants me to downgrade.  Is there are reason these dependencies are fixed or could this be modified to allow the current versions?

On 7/26/2017 at 10:01 AM, EricLarsen said:

Is there are reason these dependencies are fixed or could this be modified to allow the current versions?

Eric, 

LVTM was built to support LV2013 and up (when developing toolkits, always best to provide backward compatibility as far back as possible).  Those two libraries do indeed have more current versions available, but those more recent library versions THEMSELVES do not provide backward compatibility back to LV2013.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on what version of the LV development environment you will be running LVTM under.  If you are developing in LV2013 or LV2014, then you will need to stick with GPower Error & Warning = 1.2.0.14, and NI SmartBalloon = 2.0.0.2.  If you are developing in LV2015 or higher, then you should be able to safely use the very latest versions of those two libraries without any compatibility problems.

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 11:43 AM, TimVargo said:

So the answer to your question is that it depends on what version of the LV development environment you will be running LVTM under.  If you are developing in LV2013 or LV2014, then you will need to stick with GPower Error & Warning = 1.2.0.14, and NI SmartBalloon = 2.0.0.2.  If you are developing in LV2015 or higher, then you should be able to safely use the very latest versions of those two libraries without any compatibility problems.

Hi Tim,

I installed your task manager on 2 of my Windows 7 Pro 32-bit systems running LabVIEW 2016.  It installed GPower at version 1.2.0.14 and NI smartBalloon at 2.0.0.2.  If I update either of the packages, your task manager package icon changes to "missing dependencies".  So I've downgrade the two support packages so your Task Manager will run.

I also tried to install task manager on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system running the 32-bit version of LabVIEW 2016, but I get an error that the package is not compatible with the operating system.

Aside for those areas, your Task Manager has been very, very helpful

Thank you for creating it,

Ron

3 hours ago, sprezzaturon said:

I installed your task manager on 2 of my Windows 7 Pro 32-bit systems running LabVIEW 2016.  It installed GPower at version 1.2.0.14 and NI smartBalloon at 2.0.0.2.  If I update either of the packages, your task manager package icon changes to "missing dependencies".  So I've downgrade the two support packages so your Task Manager will run.

Hi Ron,

I haven't actually tried this, but I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to update both packages without breaking LVTM.  Sure, the package will complain about "missing dependencies", but that shouldn't matter because by then you've already done installed it and no longer need the package.  The order in which this is done IS important however.  First install LVTM along with the older dependent packages, THEN (optionally) upgrade the GPower and SmartBalloon packages.

>> So I've downgrade the two support packages so your Task Manager will run.<<
Are you saying that after the two package upgrades LVTM wouldn't run?  In what way did it complain?

3 hours ago, sprezzaturon said:

I also tried to install task manager on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system running the 32-bit version of LabVIEW 2016, but I get an error that the package is not compatible with the operating system.

I have rechecked the package build specs, and both bitness of the OS and bitness of LabVIEW are set to allow both 32 and 64-bit -- so everything SHOULD be compatible, unless it is one of the dependent packages that is the problem (I've not tried this myself on 64-bit LabVIEW).  When you got that error, did the error message explicitly state which "package is not compatible"?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 2:10 PM, TimVargo said:

Hi Ron,

I haven't actually tried this, but I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to update both packages without breaking LVTM.  Sure, the package will complain about "missing dependencies", but that shouldn't matter because by then you've already done installed it and no longer need the package.  The order in which this is done IS important however.  First install LVTM along with the older dependent packages, THEN (optionally) upgrade the GPower and SmartBalloon packages.

>> So I've downgrade the two support packages so your Task Manager will run.<<
Are you saying that after the two package upgrades LVTM wouldn't run?  In what way did it complain?

I have rechecked the package build specs, and both bitness of the OS and bitness of LabVIEW are set to allow both 32 and 64-bit -- so everything SHOULD be compatible, unless it is one of the dependent packages that is the problem (I've not tried this myself on 64-bit LabVIEW).  When you got that error, did the error message explicitly state which "package is not compatible"?

I'm having the same issue on both 2016/2017. 

Labview 2017 - 32 bit

Labview 2016 - 32 bit

Win 7 - 64bit

I uninstalled the entire GPower toolset, uninstalled LVTM.  Rebooted.  Installed LVTM 1.10.0.71 from VIPM. 

Tested that it worked (it does).   Upgraded "GPower - Error & Warning" to 2012.0.0.31 (the next step up from 1.2.0.14 in VIPM).   LVTM is now broken.  

The GPower dependencies I see it look for are 

<vilib>:\GPower\Error\Error_ClearError.vi
<vilib>:\GPower\Error\SubVIs\Filter\Error_FilterMulti.vi
<vilib>:\GPower\Error\Error_FilterCodes.vi

I have software that relies on GPower Error to be up to date, so I can't avoid upgrading GPower. 

gpower.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to use LVTM to debug an issue I have with, probably, stale references to asynchronous dynamically launched VIs. To stress test the problem, I open LVTM, open my project, launch what I have to launch, and then I uncleanly choose File/Close all (this project) while the whole contraption is running.

LVTM shows me then this attached unreactive almost empty tree, with an entry surviving from the aborted project. If I double-click it, I get the error dialog.

TaskManager.PNG

How can I help to debug LTVM (and my issue too?)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 11:01 AM, EricLarsen said:

I'm finally getting around to installing this after seeing your NI Week presentation (which was really good BTW).

The dependencies for GPower Error and NI SmartBalloon are

• GPower Error & Warning = 1.2.0.14
  • NI SmartBalloon = 2.0.0.2

There are more current versions of both libraries out and VIPM wants me to downgrade.  Is there are reason these dependencies are fixed or could this be modified to allow the current versions?

Never mind my previous post. I missed seeing this post at first. Known issue. 

There are only 2 problems in using this with modern GPower Error, easily fixed and still compatible with LV2013.

1) Replace all calls to the GPower Clear Error VI with LabVIEW's built-in Clear Error.vi, which did exist in LV2013. 

2) Replace C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\project\LAVA\LabVIEW Task Manager.vi with the attached VI (saved in LV2013) where I fixed the only use of Filter Error. 

LabVIEW Task Manager.viimage.png.cd93958c5c28131e3d6975e89d4bd57d.png

• 5 months later...

Installation problem lava_lib_tree_control_api - package not found. With VIPM entered LabVIEW Task Manager, not found, so searched the web, found 

Downloaded the file, opened it with VIPM, selected install, it showed 

image.png.1288e3fd9019636c696c5fe8de211d23.png

Continue, It seems to work so what is the lava_lib_tree_control_api bit all about ?

I did see another post https://lavag.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1954 

lava_lib_tree_control_api-1.0.1-1.vip not sure how to install this, or if it is really needed

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2021 at 7:07 PM, SteveE said:

Installation problem lava_lib_tree_control_api - package not found. With VIPM entered LabVIEW Task Manager, not found, so searched the web, found 

image.png.1288e3fd9019636c696c5fe8de211d23.png

Continue, It seems to work so what is the lava_lib_tree_control_api bit all about ?

I did see another post https://lavag.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1954 

lava_lib_tree_control_api-1.0.1-1.vip not sure how to install this, or if it is really needed

@Ravi Beniwal,  I have the same problem, VIPM reports that missing dependency for me too.  If it isn't required could it be removed ?  If it is required could it be included ?  I suspect it is included in version 1.7.028 which does not report the error. 

I spent(wasted !)  time looking for the dependency and downloading it, only to realise it might not be needed as it launches OK from the LV IDE menu Tools\LabVIEW Task Maanger....

Peter